TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
yeah...so it's hard to describe:
Just before the 2-3 shift occurs, there's this vibraty-ish, short (lasts like 1 second) noise like "TWAAAANK" or "PAAAWWNK" coming from engine (I think) some area in front of the passenger seat...it doesn't sound like transmission (due to location of noise)...it's more like a harmonious vibration noise JUST before the 2-3 shift occurs, and rarely immediately afterwards...
(although i must say i cannot FEEL any vibration anywhere when this noise occurs) it's loud enough to hear from driver's seat while driving...however, if i drive REALLY slow, the noise doesn't come...i think it's at a certain rpm/speed this harmonius noise is emitted...

related ????: while not moving, with car in R (and sometimes in D) , if I turn the wheel all way to the right (or perh not all the way even) I hear this vibrating noise from the engine - through the dashboard...is it engine mount loose? as soon as I turn the wheel other way, noise goes away - also happens on very slow right turns.

are these 2 noises related ???

what could it be? any ideas?

Please ask any "?"s if it help you to "diagnose" this noise...
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
My car (although this is in 3rd around 30 MPH and in 4th around 43 MPH) kind of resonates with the engine when the engine is running at a certain speed. It makes certain things vibrate or hum inside the car. The loudest part of the sound appears to come from the passenger's side door/kick panel area for some reason, I think there might be something in the little pocket under the speaker that's rattling.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback so far

antrhrax: i don't have a video camera, so i can't make a video...

I guess before everything else, I am gonna check trans fluid level.
Does one check when car is warm or cold?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I've always checked the trans fluid when the trans is fully hot, in Park with the motor idling. And of course make sure you are on a level surface...

Jay

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: took it to the friendly Ford place (independant place that specializes in Fords - good guy)

he drove around and he heard it, too - he's 100% sure it's NOT an internal engine or trans noise, but something harmonically "buzzing" around the firewall at that certain RPM (around 1,900) and he did show me that it occurs not only before the 2-3 shift but also while IN 3rd, at the same rpm.
He doubts VERY much that it;s engine mounts, but not 100% ruled out.

guy said he needs some time to keep the car for a day or 2 to figure it out completely.

right now it's not a good time, as I need the car, so with the assurance that it's nothing INTERNAL, i am just gonna get it checked when it's a good time to leave the car for a day or 2.

will update.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts