TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds like my belt is slipping. That's what I think it is anyway....

Can these belts be tightened? Or, do you have to buy a new tensioner?

It only makes the noise on a WOT 1-2 shift, w/ a chip.

·
Registered
658 Posts
mine does the same thing.
The belt can't be tightened any more than what it is.
The belt is on a spring tensoiner.
new tensioners are available but I dont know if that would fix the squeal.
Right now I am just dealing with it,
but like you I would like to know what I could do about it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely not a clunk. It's a high pitched squeal. Doesn't last half a second, but, it is loud and annoying.

·
Registered
726 Posts
It could be the coveted 1-2 chirp :D

·
Registered
621 Posts
You can try getting a Gatorback belt from Autozone.. it will probably fix that squeal.

·
Mushroom Stamp Layer
844 Posts
I wouldn't bother...mine did that on the Cougar for a loooong time. It is our way of making sure everything was done right. The BEST way to fix it...would be to make more power so the tires break loose at the same RPM/throttle position as the belt squeeking now. A looser torque converter will also help things out a bit as it takes away alot of that harshness.

And I'm moving this to Tranny tech

·
Administrator
14,229 Posts
Mine made that noise until I put a new belt on, yours is slipping like mine was.

·
Premium Member
8,239 Posts
I just put on a new gatorback belt on my car, and it did not take care of the noise. like C-bass says just make more hp to break the tires loose and you won't slip the belt at every 1-2 shift.

JH

ShadowDragon said:
Mine made that noise until I put a new belt on, yours is slipping like mine was.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
i noticed a couple cars last year doing that on the dyno. from what i remember, the cars that were doing it didnt have any transmission modification. i had the most hp that day and had modified my tranny, no slip for me :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts