TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MK VIII makes noise on start up for about 2 or 3 seconds then it goes away.
It sort of sounds like lifters or what ever they are called on a OHC motor (followers ? ) but not really. My T-bird doesn't do it and it scares the hell
out of me. I don't even know what to look for because it goes away so fast.

Any ideas ?

Thanks
 

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
Joined
·
2,458 Posts
The secondary chain tensioners like to rattle at startup, this is a common problem for the Mark's and it's caused by oil leakdown. The fix would be either replace the tensioners or crank the car for a bit to pre oil the motor before starting it by using a fuel cut off switch or equiv. No damage to the motor will occur if you do not fix it but it can be annoying.

-Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,758 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they "corrected" that issue in the later Gen I's and all the Gen II's. They updated the secondary chain tensioners.

And I agree that there is no damage, just irritating. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dr. FrankenCougie said:
The secondary chain tensioners like to rattle at startup, this is a common problem for the Mark's and it's caused by oil leakdown. The fix would be either replace the tensioners or crank the car for a bit to pre oil the motor before starting it by using a fuel cut off switch or equiv. No damage to the motor will occur if you do not fix it but it can be annoying.

-Scott
Thanks Dr. !!

Thanks for the help guys.

Not sure what filter is on it, just got the car on Thursday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
scott said:


Thanks Dr. !!

Thanks for the help guys.

Not sure what filter is on it, just got the car on Thursday.

Probably the world's favorite crappy filter - FRAM!!! Swap it out for a Motorcraft and you may notice a reduction in startup noise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,758 Posts
scott said:

Thanks for the help guys.

Not sure what filter is on it, just got the car on Thursday.
Ya know, now that I think about it, to change out the filter, you have to drop the differential..... :leftright

Just trying to add a little incentive (reasoning) to install a set of 4.10’s… :rofl:

You know you won’t be able to "not modify it"…. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:

Ya know, now that I think about it, to change out the filter, you have to drop the differential..... :leftright

Just trying to add a little incentive (reasoning) to install a set of 4.10’s… :rofl:

You know you won’t be able to "not modify it"…. :thumbsup:
Isn't that the truth. This car has so much potential, it scares me........

Must resist...........................MUST
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top