TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is quieter at idle and cruising at interstate speeds (2 to 2.5K rpm)?

Not really worried about WOT noise. Think “sleeper mode”. :evil3:

Application would be my LSC (“B” head, 4v), T-45, and 3.27 (yeah getting rid of my 3.73’s: 2500 rpm at 75 mph is just too high for long distance cruising (IMHO))

I’m trying to decide between the Vortech SQ and the Kenne Bell.

I’ve found videos of each on Y’all Tube, and I know people on here are running them, so I’m looking for personal experiences.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Kennebell is quieter till u kick it I have both, vortech is quiet everywhere but idle even the quiet one I have 2 of the quiet ones and the whistle is very noticable

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. I was leaning towards the Kenne Bell for my specific application.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I've heard some Vortech SQs that were silent at all times, and some other SQ's that sounded like a regular S trim... hard to say, just depends on the setup and the individual blower I guess. A twin screw will be silent until you romp on it, but still.... with a B headed car, I'd go twin screw no matter what to help make some torque in that engine.

Pete

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
The Kenne Bell kit will be tough to beat on a pure street car. It is the quietest of the 2 SCs. If I had a 4V, that is the route I would go as well.

Yes but still quiet till you step on it ...................
The SVO SC intake has no bearing on this thread at all. It has nothing to do with the question the OP asked. Why bring it up? It is comments like these that pisses me off on this board at times. Keep to the topic, if it is unrelated, do not post something completely useless...

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,791 Posts
I apologize if you felt my comment was useless. I did not realize that you couldn't put an SVO on a 4v, but I know now. I just knew from my own experience that for what I have the SVO is quiet. My apologies to you 94 if I was out of line with you or wasn't following the thread appropriately.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Look I understand stuff like this may piss you off but no reason to flame that's BS, that's the blower we installed for him, he didn't know it wouldant fit he just knew it was and m112 blower, be nice the guy is new to modding his car, so he is learning still, so I'm sure there is a way we can all be nicer

But this is my 2 cents 2 each there own

·
The Parts Guy
7,344 Posts
I realize that I'm late to this thread, but the Kenne Bell 2.1L is pretty quiet all around until you start swapping pulleys to spin it faster/produce more boost. I couldn't hear mine over the exhaust at WOT with 5 psi, with nothing but a faint whistle from the air filter at certain lower throttle positions. At 9 psi, I can easily hear the blower whine over the exhaust at WOT, and it has a prominent "blower whistle" at lower rpm/lower throttle positions.

Here's an in car vid of WOT at 9 psi. The camera doesn't pick up the blower whine as well as a human's ears in the cabin do (the whine is louder in person).

·
Registered
523 Posts
do vortech s trim's have a noticable sound to them under full throttle?

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
do vortech s trim's have a noticable sound to them under full throttle?
Nope, they make about the same amount of noise no matter what, so the engine will usually drown them out as the RPMs increase. Unless it's a noisy unit, you usually only hear them at idle.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
This video is a really good example of a pretty quiet Vortech. Some are silent, but this one is about the norm I would say. You'll hear it making a faint whistle, jet engine compressor type sound as the video starts, then hear it get drowned out as the vid goes on. You'll also hear the blow off valve exhaling when he lets of the gas too.

Pete

·
Registered
379 Posts
Cool. I was leaning towards the Kenne Bell for my specific application.
Hi, I have a 1993 Mark VIII with Vorteck at 7 PSI and you can never hear it. I also have a 03 Cobra with the Eaton root supercharger now running at 14 PSI. You can run a little more boost with a vorteck with out a inter cooler as they produce less heat. Root or twin screws produce more lower end torque but I just run a 3800 stall in the Mark and that equalizes that. Vortecks have more top end than roots and equal to twinscrews. Since the Cobra is running more Boost and is intercooled it will out run the Mark but barely. The Mark would out run the Cobra stock with 9 PSI and intercooled. Having both I prefer the Vorteck. Plus the fastest Mark on LVC is a Vorteck at 10.6 http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2-brothers2-sick-4V-cars_712772.htm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts