TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seems to be coming from rear wheel area - can only hear when I driving very slow...it's a rotational sound like DUG DUG DUG DUG DUG... low, but not too low not to hear...

what can it be?

·
Super Moderator
5,160 Posts
seems to be coming from rear wheel area - can only hear when I driving very slow...it's a rotational sound like DUG DUG DUG DUG DUG... low, but not too low not to hear...

what can it be?
Something rotating at that speed.

Tires, bearings, CV joints - if it's at some rotational speed besides the tires, then possibly diff or rear U-joint.

Get someone to inch the car along and listen for it, and see if it's at the same speed as the tire rotation.

If it is, swap the tires front/back and see if it stays with the tires or with the car location (i.e., right rear or "that BFG I had on the right rear now on right front".)

RwP

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just changed my brand new two front tires on my truck because they had flat spots in em. It was really noticable at slow speed but at faster it was a very light vibration, like the tire was slightly out of balance, I only noticed in the steering wheel.

Question: if it was a bearing, would it fade in and out (instead of a sharper rhythmic noise) as it came to the worn area?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
OK tested it a bit more...
Now I think it's NOT rotational, and seems more prominant when I am slowly turning right.

When I hit a bump or an uneven spot the noise is also there, even when driving straight. I tried to drive the right rear and left rear wheel over bumps, and it SEEMS like the noise is more when the RIGHT wheel drives over a bump, and not so much with the left wheel...That is when driving straight.

no apparent clunk noise on slow left turns...

It's a hollow sounding "dup" "dup" noise/clunk. definitely from the rear, and most prob. from rear right...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts