TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that it is colder, here in NYC, I noticed going over speed bumps, that the front is very noisy. It sounds like something is dry. What should be lubed, and with what type of lube?

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
Check the common culprits: lower ball joints, sway bar endlinks, upper ball joints, strut rod bushings, tie rods. Most likely your problem is one of the first three.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey Laminarflow,

In addition to "The Terminator's" excellent advice.....Is it possible that the noise you are hearing is coming from your front shock absorbers?

I only say that because my old (original) shock absorbers would always make noise (a dry type of noise) going over bumps when it got cold outside.

Once I replaced all four of my shocks....no more noise.

Good luck !!

·
Registered
66 Posts
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=108492

Upper Control Arm bushings..

IIRC, they cannot be lubed. Best solution is replace the entire UCA assembly, especially if the ball joint is not in the best of shape as well.

The thread above is what narrowed down the problem for me, especially the sound in the video. It sounded like the whole front end of the car was about to shear off when I would drive over a speedbump. (when cold, naturally)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Great advice,i am having the same problem. I never considered the upper control arm bushings would be making that noise.My struts only have about 600 miles on them,so i think that rules them out.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Just replaced all the upper & lower ctrl arms, strut rod bushings and swaybar endlinks in april 09 and now my front end is once again just as noisy as it was before swap! Danger Will Robinson - DO NOT buy cheap parts or they will break within a few months or less!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
follow-up

I bounced the front fenders, and just heard a clicking type of noise. It wasn't the same as going over speed bumps. It is so cold here, it is hard to do any kind of work w/o getting some sort of ailment.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I have been hearing creaks from my Cougar and occasionally the tbird. I suspect that its my cold upper control arm bushings flexing.
-Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts