TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my sister is looking to get a 93 olds cutlass. the thing is it needs a fuel pump. the fuel pump is ~$100 and you have to drop the tank.

my question is if i get an in-line electric pump will it work? will it pull fuel with the old one being bad? i'm trying to fix it for less then $100.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
962 Posts
my sister is looking to get a 93 olds cutlass. the thing is it needs a fuel pump. the fuel pump is ~$100 and you have to drop the tank.

my question is if i get an in-line electric pump will it work? will it pull fuel with the old one being bad? i'm trying to fix it for less then $100.

I dont see why not? Just think if you added a fuel cell to the car, youd be doing the same thing just rerouting lines. But I thought the inline pumps were more expensive than that?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
seems like i should be able to get one cheaper than $100

i have no idea what kind it would need though.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I dont see why not? Just think if you added a fuel cell to the car, youd be doing the same thing just rerouting lines. But I thought the inline pumps were more expensive than that?
A fuel cell does not have a failed fuel pump in it that an external pump has to suck the fuel through.

This is what the external pump will have to suck through:

I doubt the suction from the external pump would be enough to overcome the check valve in the in-tank pump.

Then factor in that the OEM lines would have to be cut and the external pump spliced in somewhere... and rewired. I'll stick with my original statement that the repair of the OEM pump is the cheapest way to go.

But it might, I've never tried doing what we're discussing.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A fuel cell does not have a failed fuel pump in it that an external pump has to suck the fuel through.

This is what the external pump will have to suck through:

I doubt the suction from the external pump would be enough to overcome the check valve in the in-tank pump.

Then factor in that the OEM lines would have to be cut and the external pump spliced in somewhere... and rewired. I'll stick with my original statement that the repair of the OEM pump is the cheapest way to go.

But it might, I've never tried doing what we're discussing.
that makes since. looks like my saturday has been spoken for :(

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
that makes since. looks like my saturday has been spoken for :(
Yeah, I feel for you. Of all the things on cars, dropping a gas tank is one that I hate the most.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha. i don't plan on catching on fire. why would i catch fire? LOL

and i got lucky with my bird as i only had to drop a few inches to get the D/S out.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
nope. i got enough sense to know better than to let something catch fire. lol

i wasn't looking to bootleg or ghetto rig it. i was looking for a cheaper alternative to a $100 pump and having to drop the tank.

but looks like my bubble has burst :(

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I've done two heater cores and neither of them were any problem. Maybe an hour to do each one.

But then again, one was on a 65 Mustang, and the other was a 69 F100

Luckily, I've never had to do one in a MN12/FN10. I can't imagine having to do one in my LSC!!! :beek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts