TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several vehicles with Open diffs and thinking about going TL. Correct me if wrong but if carrier comes out and/or is replaced Backlash needs to be reset? Also on solid axles (F-150s and Panthers) it is just swap out the carriers right?

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
Yes, remove wheels, remove brake caliper and rotor, slide axle in, remove C-clip, slide axle out, then remove the carrier, making sure to keep the shims in the same location. When going back together, if you are only changing to a TL, and keeping the same gears, and you are using a Ford TL, re-install the factory shims in the original locations, and your backlash will pretty much always be good, but check it just to be sure.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That's what I was thinking, since the gears will be the same the only issue should be the flatness and thickness of the carrier (and would suspect that's in the neighborhood of .001+/-, could be less; Dana used to be here and some of the guys worked there and said FOMOCO was anal about their stuff Land Rover even more so).

Plan on using new Traction-Lok since I don't see the point in a junkyard pick plus a rebuild with what a new TL form Summit and the like are. ~$250

·
Super Moderator
10,769 Posts
What install kit do you use with an IRS diff?

I want new carrier bearings and all, as well as a track loc rebuild kit.

What you y'all recommend?

I'm going to either 3.55 or 4.10 on this rebuild...

EDIT:

here is the link to our stuff:
http://forums.tccoa.com/showpost.php?p=1471505&postcount=19

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
If u go back with ford carrier just put shims were they came from u switch to non ford diff be prepared to reshim the thing

·
Super Moderator
10,769 Posts
The one I'm rebuilding ate a shim; looked bronze or brass from the plating and tiny bits left over.

I'll have to set it up, but I have help; I watched him build both of his.

Rob, what do you think of the newer non-crush upgrade that's available?

edit: it's a 28 spline stock irs trak-loc carrier, unless they're all beveled. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts