TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
96 - 97 Tbirds can take the PI cams!

I know it didn't answer your question. I am not sure if the 94 - 95 Tbird 4.6 will accept the cams without some other modification.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it possible to put 96-97 heads and still keep the 94 manifold? I am getting my RichardM intake tube tomorrow and don't really want to go through the hassle of selling it.

·
Ohio TCCoA
863 Posts
I beleive you can keep the 94-95 intake with the 96-97 heads. The heads are the same as far as port design and the angles. I think the change was in the way it accepts the cams. Although I would like someone with more experience to back up what I saying here before you take my word for it. I have never tired it myself. I am thinking back to other things I have read here and other 4.6 tech forums.

Later,
jay

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
The problem with installing PI cams is that the valve springs wont hold up in a 94-5. swap those and the cams will work. You wont see as big a gain with the pre 96 heads because of the port runners being different... how much the difference is would be a ? until we get a before/after dyno pull from someone. Most people say don't bother, but I won't instantly discount it. 96-8 heads will work just fine with an aluminum intake if you choose to go that route.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
It would probably not be worth it to just swap on the 97 heads when you could put on PI heads with the cams already in them. Isn't the 94 intake pretty restrictive?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Silver95Bird said:
The problem with installing PI cams is that the valve springs wont hold up in a 94-5. swap those and the cams will work.
True, put you can't just swap in 96+ valve springs, you'd have to machine the head before it would carry the newer springs.

buy a pair of 96-98 heads, install PI cams, and then do a headswap. The 94-95 and 96-98 heads have the same intake and exhast ports so it's a direct swap. Silver is correct that the 96-98 heads will also flow better.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much of a power increase can I expect form the head and cam swap? I would like to do it soon. Also would I need a chip for the swap?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
If you were to leave the heads stock, I'd say 10-15rwhp. If you were to PnP the heads, you might gain quite abit more. However, you can get heads and cams for ~$400 total, while PnP would cost at least that much over again.

·
Registered
353 Posts
this is starting to sound interesting to me. if i swap those in my 97 i shouldn't have any problems? would i have to get a chip for the change?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Just a word of caution........

These observations apply to many of us.....if you can just about steal (pay practically nothing) for the parts you need
and do the install work yourself, then the following really doesn't apply....but for the rest of us....here goes....

NPI heads:$250 or more.... PI heads $400-500 or more....
PI cams $240.....P&P only (no spring or valve changes) $600-$700.
Shipping $100.....some new parts...followers, guides, chains, gaskets...
whatever you need.....$250-$550.

No install labor is included in those estimates...it's real easy to have $1500
in heads, cams, and parts before adding in labor if you aren't doing the change yourself.

The only reason I bring this up is...if you can buy a reasonably late model, reasonably low milage GT engine for under $2000...the install costs may not be that much more than the heads....or if you do it yourself...a lot less hassle and you may come out in the same ballpark in terms of power and satisfaction...and you don't have to buy additional parts like TB's, MAFS, or injectors....assuming they're included along with the pcm........

Just something to think about......

·
Registered
181 Posts
MagerThom said:
Just a word of caution........

The only reason I bring this up is...if you can buy a reasonably late model, reasonably low milage GT engine for under $2000...the install costs may not be that much more than the heads....or if you do it yourself...a lot less hassle and you may come out in the same ballpark in terms of power and satisfaction...and you don't have to buy additional parts like TB's and MAFS, assuming they're included along with the pcm........

Just something to think about......

Granted, the PI engine is a good choice for the 94-95 guys, and even the 96-97 owners. However sometimes it's not just about the gain in HP but also the adventure in doing the work yourself!!!!

Seriously though, if I had a 94 I'd just go for the PI engine. But for the 96-97 guys (like myself) I'd do the PI cam swap because it's a direct replacement and it looks liike a fun job to boot!!!!!

Cheers

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
yeah and also you can buy the parts in stages in stead of in one big shabang.......for the 96-97 tbird or mustang head do you need a new computer? or would it run like **** but run....or would it be ok?

·
Registered
181 Posts
JoeyICU said:
yeah and also you can buy the parts in stages in stead of in one big shabang.......for the 96-97 tbird or mustang head do you need a new computer? or would it run like **** but run....or would it be ok?

No I don't believe that a computer is need to swap to 96-97 heads, the maf will adjust for the increased air flow.

Cheere :cool:

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
MagerThom where did you get those prices? PI heads are $450-500 each. Non PI are $200-300 a pair. With some searching I can find a pair of cams for about $200. That come in at the price of one PI head. Plus with the PI you need an intake that matches. Thats another $100. So the Non PI has the same power potential as the PI if you decide to get them P&P. Its been proven that P&P Non PI heads flow more in the low end then stock PI heads.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts