TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My other car...the 98 Saturn SC is having charging issues...Car charges at 12v and doesnt change with rpm leaving the car very low on power. I did the tensioner and belt 8K ago along with the battery. I did the alternator today to try to remedy the problem and nothing! I know i should find some saturn forum to post on but this place is the best...Thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
First off did you buy a good battery because i've seen the same issue with brand new batteries that have costed 40-45 bucks. If so just to be on the safe side go to the auto part store or somewhere that tests batteries and alts to make sure because sometimes brand new things are defective. Also it might be the starter.......im not for sure but thats what i've been told on simular charging issue or if not that if you have a voltage regulator that might be it.....hope that helps! :cool:

·
Registered
814 Posts
Check you grounds.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
94cougar4.6, i swapped the battery with a diehard. I didnt research it but i was in a jam at the time. As far as the voltage regulator is concerned, its integrated into the alternator on the saturn. The starter has also been replaced in the recent past. Drnaline,i checked the ground on the battery post and its free of corrosion. Can you suggest any other ground points? In any event thanks for the help guys. Just for the record i've hated my saturn from day one.

·
Registered
814 Posts
itsthekavorka said:
94cougar4.6, i swapped the battery with a diehard. I didnt research it but i was in a jam at the time. As far as the voltage regulator is concerned, its integrated into the alternator on the saturn. The starter has also been replaced in the recent past. Drnaline,i checked the ground on the battery post and its free of corrosion. Can you suggest any other ground points? In any event thanks for the help guys. Just for the record i've hated my saturn from day one.
On a car that new there should be a few others. Trace back from your negative cable to it's origins It should ground somewhere to the engine. and maybe other places.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ran with 94cougar4.6's idea of a possible defective battery. Swapped it in its the problems fixed..14.3 volts. Thanks guys

·
Registered
814 Posts
Cool. Nice it was easy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts