TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I bought a new alternator for my car to replace the one that puts out slightly low voltage...I wasn't thinking about the slight differances from 94-95 to 96-97 and changing out the alt is just a bit more involved with this car...being a 96 and all...

The problem I encountered was this...the car has steeda underdrive pullies on it...which are in the process of going away in favor of stock pullys...alternator, of course, will be replaced with the new one...but here's the problem

the steeda water pump pully is just slightly too large, and I can't get anything around the bottom alt. bolt on the drivers side, pully is in the way...I tried to remove the pully, but even with the belt on, all the pully does is slip under the belt and spin....any ideas? Do I have to use an impact?

What about changing the crank pully back to stock? Steeda pullies come with a bolt that is used for...something...not to attach anything, I'm a little unclear on this...

and for the record...spark plug wires...under or over the alternator? Does it matter?

thanks for any help :)

·
Super Moderator
16,766 Posts
Try putting a breaker bar on the tensioner and pull it tight while you unbolt the water pump bolts. Works for tightening them to spec as well.

I do wires over, but its your call

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Use a screwdriver as a wedge against 2/4 of the bolts, loosen the two that your not wedged against, same for the next two.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
got it....I was going to go with the stock pulley for the water pump, but it seemed that in THAT configuration, the belt was too big...put the steeda pulley back on and everything fit back together correctly

This new alt has the stock pulley...voltage is correct right around 14 at idle...so far the car seems to idle much better...I have not done new plugs/wires yet...have only replaced the alt and run seafoam with the gas...hope this makes the car run nice again...

the new alt is "100% new" autolite with a lifetime warrentee...seems to be on the loud side but works ok...hopefully it just has to break in and will quiet down?

We shall see...plugs and wires and fuel filter are a project for another day :)

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Steeda crank pulley is smaller then stock to compensate they make the waterpump pulley bigger so that you use the stock belt. As for the alt, I kept the stocker on mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts