TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to have the heads replaced on my 4.6L 1995 Tbird. I was wondering if anyone knows of a shop in the North Dallas area(The Colony, Frisco, Plano, Carrollton, Lewisville) that will do a good job at a good price. I have a bad gasket on driver side head. I figure since the heads need to be pulled to replace that I would get them rebuilt with longer valve guides like the 97+ 4.6L engines.

I would like to chat with a repair shop that is knowledgeable about 4.6L engines other than a dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Hi Leroy'
don't know any shops in Dallas, but most shops will pull the engine to do the work. Thats more or less a $800 ticket, plus parts and labor for the rest you want to have done.
Did you ever look into an PI swap.? i.e. 2003 Explorer engine.!
Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds like a good idea. I think I have a few options

1. Replace heads with similar replacements.
2. Have a shop rebuild existing heads with extended valve guides.
3. Replace entire engine with a long block, possibly a 4.6 PI engine.

My transmission was rebuilt less than 20k miles ago and is in great shape. If I did a motor swap I want to keep the tranny.

·
Super Moderator
7,479 Posts
It isn't possible to rebuild the 94/95 heads with the 96/97 valve guides. You would have to replace the heads if you want to solve the valve guide issue. At that point, you might as well do a PI head swap on your existing bottom end. I certainly wouldn't pull a motor just to do the head swap, but if you have other issues like a leaking oil pan gasket or rear main seal, then pulling the motor to do the heads would make sense, and as Maic mentioned, swapping to a complete PI motor may be more cost effective than the head swap by the time you buy heads, gaskets, head bolts, new timing components, etc. Any PI motor will work, but the Explorer ones use an aluminum block instead of cast iron, so they save about 75lbs off the front of the car, which makes a noticable improvement in handling.

Having said all that, what makes you think you have a bad head gasket? On a 4.6, a bad head gasket is extremely extremely rare, as in being a mechanic and working on Fords for the last 15 years, I have never actually seen a 4.6 2V blown head gasket. Before condemning the head gaskets, and thereby possibly condemning the whole motor, make sure it isn't the oil filter adapter gasket, the water pump, the intake gaskets, or the heater tube that goes under the intake manifold. All of those are fairly common coolant leak points on the 4.6, but without even seeing your car, I would bet money that the head gaskets are not blown.

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
... I would bet money that the head gaskets are not blown.
I agree, My "bad head gaskets" on Lazarus was a bad gasket at the oil filter adapter.

I also had a leak at the seam on the tank; that I had to buy a kit to find. :)

Some Advanced or AZ stores will loan these kits; try that first.

:smile2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts