TCCoA Forums banner

Nos

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Dr. FrankenCougie 
#1 ·
I was thinking of getting NOS for my 95 v-8 Cat..... What do you guys recommend... the dry kit of wet kit??? I heard that the wet kit is better, cause the tanks don't explode.... :D Also, would you guys recommend doing any mods to the car??? Cause i only have exhaust (flowmaster, and k&n filtercharger) Cause they say that the tanks of the dry kits tend to explode?????
:confused: WHy?

#2 ·
first of all, its called nitrous, not NOS. NOS is a company, as is NX, NitrousWorks, TNT, Venom, etc.

im torn between wet and dry, but id probably go with a dry kit if i ever went with nitrous. ive never heard of a tank blowing, its next to impossible. intake manifolds on the other hand, those can puddle, backfire and explode. not very likely but its possible with wet systems.

#3 ·
I knew i should put Nitrous Oxide System, cause i thouhgt that you were gonna say that... :p ... I've seen pics....... of cars that had Dry kits and their tanks exploded.... Thanx J-Rob

#4 ·
Isn't a wet and dry tank the same? So why would a dry tank explode and not a wet kit? I would go with a dry kit myself. These cars have more then enough fuel to flood the engines. So why bother with adding more fuel with the nitrous?

If I had the money and wanted the power, I think I would go with the Nozzle system. ONly problem is they are over a $1000 for the kit. But with that, your injectors plug into the nitrous jets or something. And I think they add more fuel with them too. (The injectors and then from the jets) That seems like the best system to run. No puddling problems and all the other stuff. :)

sorry I cant think right now. So I will just say "Stuff"

#5 ·
NOS, NX......

J-Rob said:
first of all, its called nitrous, not NOS. NOS is a company, as is NX, NitrousWorks, TNT, Venom, etc.

im torn between wet and dry, but id probably go with a dry kit if i ever went with nitrous. ive never heard of a tank blowing, its next to impossible. intake manifolds on the other hand, those can puddle, backfire and explode. not very likely but its possible with wet systems.
ok, i'm probably gonna get reamed on this one...

what's wrong w/ calling it NOS. i've called it NOS since i've been in cars. things like this happen when something is popularized around the country...think of soft drinks...in some places, instead of calling it soda pop or what have you, people will say, 'lemme have a COKE", even if they refer to having a PEPSI, a different brand....still the same general idea, even if the brand is wrong.
PONY cars refer to a certain breed of car...certain styling and power output, even if they arent 'ponies' (like 'stangs)

so why get all bent out of shape calling it NOS? Nitrous oxide systems is a very prevalent company. Could be calling it NX if they had become popular first.....no one would think anything of it.

seems like everyone gets flamed when they call it NOS. who cares, the point gets across. if i hear a 'because it's in the fast and the furious' response.....*shakes head*. how long as NOS and other nitrous companies been around???
...yeah....

incidently, i would go with a NOSzle kit if i could afford it. they run ~$1600 for 2v mustang motors..so it should just plop right in to where our injectors are. just make sure the internals of your motor can handle it (if you go for massive amounts of nitrous). a 75 shot should be ok though.

last thing...J-rob...this aint directed towards you AT ALL. I just notice a lot of people get kind of irked when they see NOS...just so happens i came upon this thread and your post...so dont think i'm going after you or anything...just so happens i opened my big fat yapper on this one.
no hard feelings man.
:D

#7 ·
I wouldn't mind putting about a 50-75hp dry shot on my car for a little extra track kick. Can someone point me to a good kit or maybe some tips?

#10 · (Edited)
Re: NOS, NX......

66dvlbrd68 said:

ok, i'm probably gonna get reamed on this one...

what's wrong w/ calling it NOS....
no hard feelings man.
against my better judgement ill go ahead and take a whack at this

i see where you are coming from with NOS : Coke :: nitrous : cola

i dont think you are offending anyone by calling it NOS, its just a bad, mis-informed statement. if nothing else its just not PC. back in the day when NOS was the only big company out there, theres no problem calling it by that, but thats not the case. when someone wants a supercharger, they say "i want a supercharger", not I want a vortech, unless thats what they really want. if you were to say "i need vortech" or "i need eaton", that makes no sense, even if vortech was the only supercharger company on the market. you need boost.

to get more into the Coke theory, if you say "Coke" by itself you are not necessarily referring to the can, the tab and the soda itself, you are referring to the liquid inside the container. for this reason you can order a Coke at a restaurant and get it in a glass or buy it at a store and get it in a plastic bottle or a can. Coke is the actual product itself, the consumed beverage.

NOS on the other hand is an entire system, tank, lines, solenoids, plates, nozzles, etc. there isnt even any of the actual product that you are likely referring to included with the NOS kit. NOS does not refer to the power boosting product itself, but the controlling system for it. "nitrous" on the other hand is, and as such should be used when referring to the general product that you are talking about.

so, in conlusion NOS is not to Coke as nitrous is to cola. Coke is a type of cola, while NOS is not a type of nitrous, it is a type of nitrous system.

#11 ·
Re: Re: NOS, NX......

J-Rob said:
NOS is not to Coke as nitrous is to cola. Coke is a type of cola, while NOS is not a type of nitrous, it is a type of nitrous system.
is this going to be on the SAT's?

heh heh heh

#13 ·
ive got a 75 shot on mine

im using a dry kit with a chrome nos bottle and all braided lines with a purge kit shooting out of my front end where my bird is mine ended up costing me like 900 after all the braided lines for the purge kit and all custom made stuff i had to get done and installed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.