TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i had high flow cats magnaflow midmounted muffler di/so.....and the drone was getting to me really bad. so i decided to take out the muffler and put in a y pipe so now its high flow cats single pipe midbody, then y's off at diff to tips.

well that may have been a bad idea lol it got rid of SOME drone but i was expecting to have less.

all i know is as soon as i can im putting some mufflers out the back under the trunk, just dont know what kind yet. i dont care much on sound as i used to, i just want to get rid of this terrible drone.

anyone have any recommendations for mufflers out the back? preferably some cheap(price) ones.

Dean

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ohh forgot to add this was all on a 93 3.8L

·
Administrator
8,249 Posts
Dynomax is quiet! :idea:

Joe

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any style? obviously other than the bullets. id like to have some sound to it to justify buying the cats and having them put on lol

·
Administrator
8,249 Posts
any style? obviously other than the bullets. id like to have some sound to it to justify buying the cats and having them put on lol
I have the cat back system on mine, came with turbos.

Joe

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,814 Posts
Looks good Joe. Fixing to get the same kit for my bird :) Pretty good price as well

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how does it sound? do you have the stock cats on it? id like it to sound like i have exhaust on it

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
any opinions? i wanna order something ASAP lol

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
IMO, you're heading in the wrong direction by removing mufflers. If you wanted to decrease drone on the setup that you had, it would have made more sense to stick a pair of rear mufflers on the car (leaving the mid-mounted one in place) than to remove the only muffler that you had.

-Rod

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ahah yes i realize that now. i figured the muffler was causing all the resonance and drone because of the location. but now ill be going back to a more stock setup with mufflers out the back so it should fix the drone problem. as i remember correctly mine only came with 2 cats and a muffler out the back.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
its a 3.8 it needs a resonator to not drone

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what the main differance between a resonator and a muffler, they look quite similar. also do you have any suggestions on resonators? are you saying 1 midmounted or 2 out the back?

·
Administrator
8,249 Posts
Joe, i looked up on dynomax the part number of the mufflers that came with your cat back and they were $98 off of summit.
Dean,

RockAuto has them,

WALKER Part # 17679 {Dynomax}
LH; T-304 Stainless Steel Spout
$78.79

WALKER Part # 17680 {Dynomax}
RH; T-304 Stainless Steel Spout
$78.79

Check in the Miscellaneous forum, someone has a discount code for them.

Joe

·
Registered
718 Posts
screw the resonator,,, I dont have one and have no drone at all.

Ford did a trick with the stock 5.0 and almost most cars with a duel exhaust and thats not to use the same muffler on each side.

Use either a slightly longer or larger or smaller type muffler.. each will produce a different note at a different rpm and not cause the harmonics thats common when each side is exactly the same.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts