TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay Bought myself a '96 cougar (can't wait till monday to ream out the saleman)
4.6L 4R tranny, surposely `freshly' rebuilt...
Some times it has that `valve' buzz thing at idle in gear or out of.. (ahh wrong tranny fluid?? ;) )

Since i'm not use to the 4R, just the AOD (still a POS either way:) ) BUT.. the problem is on/off mostly on

the tranny looses 3rd and 4th gear... with O/D on or off.. sometimes you can get 3rd, if your lucky with the O/D off.. But most of the case you get neither..
The thing is.. you can rev the engine, and it'll `grab' what i think would be 2nd gear let off, and it'll drop down to Idle.. give it gas.. it'll go back up to what ever RPM is need for beign in 2nd gear At X-speed if you drop it into Manual 2nd.. it'll just stay at that one RPM.. Or come up if you are at idle

The Dealership had the tranny `rebuilt' (yah.. can you say `BS' I knew you could :D ) and when i test drove it before it did do this too.. and they said they had it `fixed' and it was the MLPS :rolleyes:

Also would the Fudged up tranny Cuase the engine to over heat or boil over.. the temp guage hasn't really gone over 1/2 guage but cooling fan does turn onto High but shut of the engine.. and the overflow/expansion tank over flows.. also now the `low coolant' light is on again.. so..

Any help would be awesome...

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
If it's been less than 3 days, return it immediately. I believe you can cancel any contract within the first three days.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also does the '96 have OBD2 code for the tranny overheating???

Since there was no chance in heck touching thte tranny lines after these issues... don't remember the AOD being getting THAT hot...

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm been on the fone when typeing the above so it took even longer to type :)

HMm I heard about that beign able to be done in the south.. some Lemon Law.. i do not know if we have it up here in Canada... but i did get off the fone with the salemen and he said `We'll have it towed back here, and we'll have it looked after.. '

Maybe i'll just say `what about you take it back, and i get my money back?'

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drove the car around today... Get O/D off, and it only did it once for like 30 seconds or less.. and i racked up twice as much milage as yesterday...

and never had any cooling system issues.. other then the fact that it looks like someone added stop leak or something into it.. :(

So any ideas???

with even just 3 gears.. it was a nice drive :)

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I'd take it back to whoever "fixed" it and tell them you refuse to take delivery again until it works properly.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well It's Monday.. with in an hour or so i'll be either getting a call (BAH!) or be calling the dealership about this car.. (among the BBB ;) )

The Tranny does have a 6 month warrenty thou.. But if the person can't get it right the first time.. what are they odds of them getting it right ever? And even thou i had built into the budget of buying this car (or any other '96/7 i bought) alittle extra $$ to get the tranny rebuilt.. never thought it'll be this bloody soon... :mad: SPECIALLY on a tanny that was surpose of been `Rebuilt' in the first place... :rolleyes:

It's weird, i can't see any other issues, other MINOR things with the car.. Also was able to find 2 brand new remote entry remotes in the car.. which was a nice suprise.. OE ford ones too still in their little seal baggies :)

But the whole ENgine cooling system and Tranny are two MAJOR pieces of the car.. YES it's a used car.. but SHEESH it only has 120,000kms (70,000miles) on it..

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Also as a worst case Scenerio and i'm Forced to keep it and can't get my $$$ back.. and the tell me to go *&^% myself basiclly... What could be cuasing this problem.. or should i just say screw it and get another '96/7 tranny and either toss it in or best, rebuild it (if i can find someone around here that knows what the *&^% they are doing) and toss it in... or spend a few $$ and get a '03 GT 4R and convert it and toss it in? (Can't seem to find a older GT 4R, YET!)

Also if i'm forced to keep it.. i'm giving them aother chance to try to fix the car.. dought it'll happen, Then i'm doing the above and also taking it to a Mechanic i Trust and having them do another complere flush and check of the cooling system.. (pray that the Heater core is still good.. haven't smelt coolant through the vents YET, but also haven't really used the `heat' part yet :D )

Also I hope this POS lemon turns into a decent car.. Also first 4.6L i drove that felt like it had some UMPH! still like the 5oh more still :tongue:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=shifting

From what I was reading you're loosing 3rd/OD, the same mine was doing...if it's doing like it's doing in that video then it's because of the transmission harness...at least it was in my case.

Inspect all the wires from the ECC to the tranny!

- Pelezo

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it's somewhat like that.. But it just does not shift in 3rd or 4th.. it stays in 2nd gear.. but if you let off the gas, it'll drop back down to idle, get on the gas, it'll go up the whatever RPM 2nd gear would be at and it'll accelerate from there on in again.. let off.. it won't go into 3rd or 4th.. and just drops back to idle.. and i did try to look at much of the underside tranny wiring when i had it on the hoist yesterday.. and it seemed okay

There is NO engine braking in `that' 2nd gear thou (duh, since it goes down to idle :) )
BUT in Manual 2nd it does do engine braking..
when i drove around with OD OFF, it just didn't go into 3rd for like 20-30seconds ONCE (went into it just before that once, but had to stop for a light.. then it did it) then it work the rest of the way...

Also i found a used '97 trans i can pick up for like $700cdn @$575us with the same milage as the '96 already has.. (IE good chance it needs rebuilding, and i'm sourcing a decent place up here to maybe have someone go through it. )

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
the MLPS was replaced, with a used on at that, but still it was replaced...
Well i would think a Sift Siliniod would throw a code.. but it could be one of them.. HECK they may be working, but hte guy who went through the tranny may of not installed them correctly??

Well the car is enroute to the shop VIA the dealership.. when will i get it back.. who knows..

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
That's exactly what mine was doing until it got cold, but puting the clicker in 2nd didnt do anything and if I put it in 1st it didnt do anything but act like it was in D, no 3rd or 4th gear unless it was just starting off...

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
i wouldnt waste money on a used unit, i woudl have someone rebuild that one or get a reman .

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jk89cat said:
i wouldnt waste money on a used unit, i woudl have someone rebuild that one or get a reman .
Well my only concern right now about the car, is the Milky engine coolant (which no one has reply to my Q about it yet in the 4.6L forum)

But i will go for the Fully rebuilt '98+ trans w/ J-mod (gave the trans guy a link to the tech article too look over :) )

and with that.. i've been using the search feature looking up M8 TC swaps, what need to swap in the '98+ trans.. and i'm still confused as to what to do :(

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well got the car back...
Heh saddly the Tranny leaks oil.. YAH! But it is drivable...

The only concern that has shown itself.. is that the TC doesn't lock up or something the ODD time in 4th gear only.. the car doesn't Freewheel or anything.. it accelerates.. but if you let off the gas the RPMS drop a considerable amount

BUT if you go through 3rd with the TC locked up and into forth it's good.. untill you let off the gas, unlocking the TC (is THAT normal does it in 3rd and 4th) and you reapply the gas.. sometimes it doesn't relock up... Seems to do it after driving for a considerable amount of time, and not often.. sometimes it'll do it for awhile.. then it'll start Locking up again.. or you can just shut OD off.. let it lock up in 3rd, then turn OD on.. it'll be good again..

Heh I'm still use to the AOD where it's always `locked' in 3rd and 4th gear no mater what

OH and it does this BEtween 40-60mph (haven't been able to go faster.. damn traffic

Now i gotta figure out this gas guage it has.. 60-70 miles and it's already showing 3/4 of a tank

1 - 17 of 17 Posts