TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys got a question i have a 2000 mercury mountaineer and i got in it today to got to the store and it wouldn't go in gear. when u pull the lever it wont move and the bad part is i replaced the brake trans interlock solinoid and that didn't fix it so my next guess is the trans neutral safety switch is bad. i bought the solinoid and cant take it back once u open it its yours, bought it from the dealer no one else had it, so what do u guys think? thanks for the help guys!:confused:

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Are your brake lights coming on? Doesn't the solenoid get it's signal from the brake pedal switch?

Just throwing out an idea since I don't know jack about the Mountaineer!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey checked my brakes lights they come on with or without the solenoid hooked up. im so confused.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Again, just throwing "things" out there...

Is it column shift (like I said, I don't know jack about the Mountaineers... :( ) Is there any kind of mechanical interlock that keeps you from putting it in gear if the key is not turned?

Is the solenoid getting power (i.e. any blown fuses)?

It's probably going to be something very simple that you find after 5 days and $2,000.... Assuming you have the same type of luck I have!! . :thumbsup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Won't come out of park?
I believe there are 2 systems that keep a car in park.
First the key has to be "on"
Second you need the brake pushed to shift

I dont know anything about those either so i cant help you to much. The neutral saftey switch is for sending a signal to you car telling it is safe to start because its in neutral or park. I dont think that would give you a problem as far as not being able to move the shifter.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I think they are the same as all Explorers, Aerostars etc. For the shifter to unlock the brake must be depressed and the key has to be "on". If it starts and the steering wheel moves then Id guess it has something to do with the brake safety function.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts