TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Wow.....

Driving/buying the things you make at work shows great pride in your company and your work. It's a move that makes sense, but it is still kinda extreme.

one question:
What if I what to ride my Harley-Davidson to work, where do I park then?

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
how old is mr. webber? what an idiot. who gives a flying crap what you drive and where you park it? show me where parking a chevy, madza, or bmw in that parking lot is illegal.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
good. ford should, its a solidarity and ethical thing. You build pride in a company by being proud of your company, you buy thier products, you spend your money with your company, you should see your employer as the company you will retire with.

i refuse to spend my money with my company's competitors. Pride in ones work and the quality of thier company is what allows them to suceed, bar none.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
heh.. union backing

tough sh!t you non ford drivers

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
That makes perfect sense to me, and I agree 100%!!!!

Most of you know I work for Hella. When I first started, I had to sign something saying that said as long as I am employeed by Hella, I will not have a competitors product on my vehicle.

If you work for Ford, and have for many years, why not own one.

The same thing with Coca-Cola (my dad works for them), he hasn't been able to have a Pepsi product (knowningly) in his house for nearly 20 years. If his boss were to come over, and my dad have a Pepsi product in his house, he would be fired. Shoot, my dad isn't even supposed to eat at KFC, Pizza Hut, or Taco Bell (Pepsi products are served).

-Kornhaus

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I have split feelings.

I agree that one should take pride in the product they make and show that pride and support by buying the product.

HOWEVER, since Ford employees have absolutely no say in the price of the product, why should they be penalized for spending their money on a comparable product for less money? It is their money to spend as they see fit, IMHO.

For example, if it costs a Ford employee $20K for a F150, but he can buy a GMC 1500 for $18K, why should be be penalized for spending his money more efficiently.

I think a MUCH better method to get the Ford parking lot of Fords is to make the incentives higher, rather than a "punishment".... Say offer, a "matching" price on a Ford. Then if you decide to NOT partake in that offer, then be ready to hike through the rain. :D

(Or do they do something like this already?)

But again, I'm sort of split. :D

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
I have split feelings.

I agree that one should take pride in the product they make and show that pride and support by buying the product.

HOWEVER, since Ford employees have absolutely no say in the price of the product, why should they be penalized for spending their money on a comparable product for less money? It is their money to spend as they see fit, IMHO.

For example, if it costs a Ford employee $20K for a F150, but he can buy a GMC 1500 for $18K, why should be be penalized for spending his money more efficiently.

I think a MUCH better method to get the Ford parking lot of Fords is to make the incentives higher, rather than a "punishment".... Say offer, a "matching" price on a Ford. Then if you decide to NOT partake in that offer, then be ready to hike through the rain. :D

I agree.. we are not talking a few dollars here. We are talking Thousand of dollars. If Ford made every effort to make employee purchases of the vehicles by price matching or even well below invoice then thats differant. Then again we are just talking about parking spots... Not that big of a deal anyway..

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
ford does offer deal, incentives, "plan" pricing. My mom gets X plan pricing on her escape and it ended up being almost 3k less than sticker retail....and she doesnt even work for Ford.

i think too many employees just see their job as a paycheck and not something to be proud of...and I think tha sentiment is to widely accepted in society.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
I have split feelings.

On new vehicles I'd find it hard to believe that a Ford employee couldn't get a Ford vehicle for less than an identical competitor's product even if the Ford has a higher sticker. It's called D-plan and X-plan, etc...

big mike said:
how old is mr. webber? what an idiot. who gives a flying crap what you drive and where you park it? show me where parking a chevy, madza, or bmw in that parking lot is illegal.
Geez dude, who gives a flying crap? Ford does. What does it matter how old he is? And really it's not that rare...at my dealership, it's not required but it is highly encouraged for employees to drive FoMoCo vehicles to work. At the manager level and above I'd say it's pretty much required.

No one said it was illegal either...

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
One thing to remember is that a lot of the employees probably can't afford to buy a new Ford. So unless they get those discounts on used Ford vehicles, they are back to square one of looking for a good price.

Do those plans apply to used Fords also? I don't know, I'm just asking. :thumbsup:

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Palmguy said:
Geez dude, who gives a flying crap? Ford does. What does it matter how old he is? And really it's not that rare...at my dealership, it's not required but it is highly encouraged for employees to drive FoMoCo vehicles to work. At the manager level and above I'd say it's pretty much required.

No one said it was illegal either...
i was implying that its pretty childish to allow only ford vehicles to park in their lots. maybe an employee got a good deal on a non-ford car and cant afford a ford. and what would happen with the handicap spots for employees? is an individual who is wheelchair-bound or elderly who drives a non-ford minivan going to have to roll/hike it all the way from the street, or cross the street for that matter? i think ford should be proud that they even have employees , IRREGARDLESS of what they drive. i do detect discrimination here in another context, which is something this country continues to deal with.

yeah, its not illegal, but my point is they should not be concerned with separating the ford vehicles from the non-fords, just because the company is experiencing problems. i do see an ethical example here, but not every ford employee has a ford.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
One thing to remember is that a lot of the employees probably can't afford to buy a new Ford. So unless they get those discounts on used Ford vehicles, they are back to square one of looking for a good price.

Do those plans apply to used Fords also? I don't know, I'm just asking. :thumbsup:
those plant workers make something on the order of 15/16 dollars an hour, two incomes per household...i think they can afford a vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
7,550 Posts

I was just thinking the same thing. If you are a factory worker, you probably don't make tons of money, so you would most likely buy a used car, not a new one, and there is nothing ford could do in that market since once the car is sold, future sales are out of their hands. If I worked there, and they put this rule into effect, I would probably give the management the finger and go find myself another job, even though I do drive a ford! Also, these people are factory workers. Their job IS just a paycheck to them. You don't have to be a firm believer in the company you work for to bolt on the same few parts every day and be able to support your family. If anything, I think this is likely to make people less likely to believe in their company. All it will do is make someone who looks at the parking lot think that everyone believes in the company, until they look across the street and see another lot without a single ford vehicle anywhere.

Mike

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
This policy is ridiculous. Someone who's been working there for years, who may have bought his non-Ford before he started working there, now has to park across the street? YGTBSM.

How about a handicapped guy who drives a non-Ford? Does Ford require him to push his wheelchair across the street? I almost hope so, so the guy can sue Ford for violating ADA.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
I kinda have mixed feelings about that. I can't say that there's anything wrong with wanting your employees to drive the vehicle that they produce. However, there's something to be said for choice and what you want. Like right now, I've developed a real fondness for the Chargers and the Magnums (especially the R/T and SRT models). If I were working for Ford and "had" to drive a Ford, what exactly do they offer that competes with those two vehicles? Nothing that I know of.

Overall, I can't really see a problem with it. I guess it might just be Ford trying to instill some pride in what they build. Hell, you can pick up some used Fords for cheap. Just pick up a Ford beater to drive to work. :zdunno: And, if they've got union backing in this, might as well consider it set in stone.

Sorry if this seems like senseless drivel, I've had a long day.

scottkornhaus said:
Shoot, my dad isn't even supposed to eat at KFC, Pizza Hut, or Taco Bell (Pepsi products are served).

-Kornhaus
You would have to shoot me on the spot. Taking Taco Bell out of my diet would cause catastrphic failure . . . especially on the weekends;) :D

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
... the unions up there won't allow them to work for sh!t... obviously if they are handicapped, they won't be doing much in a factory :) if they are, it may be office work, and i'm sure an exception can be made

1 - 20 of 64 Posts