TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I get in my car this morning, drive away as normal, it's about 8C so it's cold.

I get driving about 5 mins into it and have to come to a stop behind aschool bus.... as I'm stopping I notice my brakes just EVER SO SLIGHTLY don't seem to be working as well as normal, and just as I'm coming to a stop I hear this LOUD humming, as if someone hit a huge tuning fork.

Not sure what it was, and wrote it off as the bus or something. Then I get a little further along, and again going to stop, as I some to a stop, the same thing, a LOUD vibration like a tuning fork or a bell has been hit.

what the hell is this new problem now?

·
Super Moderator
9,255 Posts
Can we get a little more details, or perhaps a video? From what I can discern, it's a hum that only happens when you're braking. I've got a bad LF rotor that makes an awful racket when I'm in the last few moments of coming to a stop.

·
Registered
773 Posts
could be as simple as the wear indcator on the pads.........scrapes the rotor when the pads wear down.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cant get any video or pics, as it's only happened twice, and god only knows when it could happen again.

it isn't a hum, its a VERY LOUD resonation. like what happens AFTER you hit a big bell.

It's not the pads either (I dont think, I do have a grinding noise form the back) the pads, rotors, and rear calipers have all been replaced. rears were done about 4 months ago, and are still in exellent shape with almost no apparent wear, and the front rotors were replaced about 2 months ago, the front pads were done back when the rears were done.

In all cases, the brake pads, rotors, and calipers all seem to be functioning perfectly, and there are no wear strips on my pads.

what you guys are imagining is not a squeak, its a loud ass resonator.

long story short, brakes are damn near new.

·
Super Moderator
12,025 Posts
cant get any video or pics, as it's only happened twice, and god only knows when it could happen again.

it isn't a hum, its a VERY LOUD resonation. like what happens AFTER you hit a big bell.

what you guys are imagining is not a squeak, its a loud ass resonator.

long story short, brakes are damn near new.
It sounds like someone rang your bell. Quit messin' with the ricers.

With a description like that it's impossible to say.

·
Super Moderator
9,255 Posts
I hear this LOUD humming
it isn't a hum.
So which is it?

And don't be too quick to disregard the brakes as the problem. I've had so much trouble with cheap rotors and pads in the past; units not even six months old were falling apart on me. Check everything, then check it again until you're SURE it's not the problem. Then check it once more.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I had a car that would make a really loud, droning hum sound from the front bumper at idle sometimes, but more often when cold. I was told it had something to do with the vacuum reservoir, but I never checked it out.
I'm just thinking.. cold, loud droning noise, when using the (vacuum assist) brakes. Maybe?

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So which is it?

And don't be too quick to disregard the brakes as the problem. I've had so much trouble with cheap rotors and pads in the past; units not even six months old were falling apart on me. Check everything, then check it again until you're SURE it's not the problem. Then check it once more.
uhhh....both :) i just meant isn't a hum like a person humming. more of a giant bell hum. like a church bell or something.

I had a car that would make a really loud, droning hum sound from the front bumper at idle sometimes, but more often when cold. I was told it had something to do with the vacuum reservoir, but I never checked it out.
I'm just thinking.. cold, loud droning noise, when using the (vacuum assist) brakes. Maybe?
now thats not a bad thought, The resonation continued after I had come to a stop, but only for about a second.

also I had just replaced my evap purge flow sensor, but I had good 50km+ of driving on the car before this happened.

another interesting note is when I was just starting to drive away from a red light i could just hear the noise barely start, and then went away.....was actually more of a feeling than a hearing.

·
Super Moderator
10,590 Posts
What you guys are describing is the IAC valve resonating in the intake.

The 96/97 cars have this little box that damps it some, but removing the intake restriction makes it easier to hear. :) That may actually BE the reason for the restriction, when I think about it...

Mine sounded like a moose in heat the first time I heard it. :D

In my case it was a sign of the IAC going bad;I've heard others say it didn't cause any problems.

Mine stuck full closed when it failed, no idle. I can drive with that, so no prob getting home, YMMV.

·
Registered
552 Posts
A couple of months ago I discribed it like this: Similar to and almost as loud as a horn on the Queen Mary 2... Most replied with IAC and so I replaced it with a new one! problem solved.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how hard is it to replace it and what's it cost? things keep going bad on me, and with a silencer I don't know if this has happened before.

either way, I'm not going to jump into replacing it.

·
Registered
893 Posts
The IAC on yours will be on the front side of the upper plenum. It should take, at the most, 10 minutes to replace, and around $40 if I'm remembering right on the price.

·
Super Moderator
9,255 Posts
The cheapest one on Rockauto goes for a $45 and you can get Motorcraft for $87. Jon should be able to get you a better price on the Motorcraft part if you want OE stuff.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well, I don't think he needs the IAC itself, just the silencer. Those, I don't think you can really buy retail. I think your best bet would be a parts car or JY.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just REMOVED the silencer, I still have it sitting at home.

I haven't heard it make this noise any more. If it does, I will look at putting the silencer back.

but I guess the big question is, does this noise mean the IAC is going/gone bad? or is it just noise of normal operation. (damn amazing how such a small part can make such a fog horn like sound)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Just like I discribed and I was freakin' out because I had no idea where it was comming from...
...but don't shoot me when it isn't the IAC!

·
Super Moderator
9,255 Posts
Kinda' like when you blow over a glass bottle just right and it makes that boat horn sound, right? :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts