TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I took off my upper intake manifold and man was it DIRTY. There was crap gunked up all over the place. I cleaned it up as best i clould but its hard to reach all the way back there. It was the same way with the lower intake but i could only clean what I could reach. I might end up cutting the manifold. I could bring it to my old machine shop class to have it cut and then bring it to the welding dept. But for now i was wondering if i should take the lower intake off and clean all the runners. I might polish it but for now i just want clean it. If I do take it off, do I need to drain some of the coolant from the block? I dont want coolant leaking into my lifter valleys. Any helpful advice or hints would be great. Thanks.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
you'll get coolant in the lift valleys no matter how had you try. Take off the thermostat housing to drain most of it out and that'll keep it cleaner. Then soak up what drips into the valley with a paper towel.

Have fun getting the lower manifold off. Mine was stuck on so hard me and a friend pried it up with two really long flat screw drivers for 10 minutes.

Deleting your PCV and EGR would keep your intakes clean. Keeps all the recycled exhaust gas and oil residue out of there.

-Thomas

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, how long does the gasket sealant need to sit before I crank the engine? I have replaced the thermostat housing three times and that damn thing still leaks. Im thinking maybe im not letting the sealant cure out. Im sure the t-stat gasket is not moving. Do I not need to remove the fuel rail or can i remove the lower intake without taking off the fuel rail?

·
8,978 Posts
I deleted my egr and it doesn't affect idle at all. It does throw a code but I'll be getting a chip soon to fix that. You can delete the pcv by replacing some vacuum hoses with air breathers and moving some hoses around and the computer will think it's still operating correctly.

You'll need to take the fuel rail off to take the lower intake off. It's not that hard, just a few bolts and disconnect the fuel lines (need the 7 dollar tool from any auto parts store) I can't remember how long I waited for the silicone to harden. But it'll say on the tube of silicone that you get. If you get the upper engine gasket kit from Fel-Pro it has everything you'll need.

-Thomas

·
8,978 Posts
might be a little too abrasive.

·
8,978 Posts
that might work better, you can get a grinding stone bit that would work best.
-Thomas

1 - 9 of 9 Posts