TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's my story: Weeks ago, I won a vague auction on eBay for a set of "5.4L F150 heads" That's about all the information the seller provided. No pictures or anything. So I email the guy. He says they're from a 1999 F150. No more information. Well, the clock ticks down and there's only minutes left of the auction and it's still at $50. So I figure, "What the heck, I need new heads anyway instead of these 94-95 ones I've got now" So I bid, win, send in the $82 bucks for the heads and shipping. The guy takes his sweet time gettin em to me, but I got em finally. The first one came yesterday. I open up the first box, and pull out an NPI head in good condition. I'm thinking, "Good deal" and get to work polishing them up and cleaning em out. Today, the second one came. I open it up and to my surprise, I'm staring at a PI head, that looks like the engine it was on was either burning oil or running very rich. So naturally, I said the first thing that came to my mind: "WTF?"
(the long version.) It doesn't look damaged in any way but it's got a heck of a lot of carbon buildup on it. So, now my decision is pretty simple: Do I get one more NPI head or one more PI head? Or, maybe I should get one of both, so I can test out the whole PI vs. NPI argument.... Anyway, just sharing my odd luck with everyone. ;)

·
Real Ultimate Goatse Hunter
850 Posts
You sure its even a PI head and not some of the few NPI heads that had the closed combustion chamber? (aka the intake ports are different right?)

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
If you get the PI head you would need to get th eintake, 96-97 fuel rails, bla bla bla:gotsearch
On the NPI, its bolt on, no problems there. But the PI are better heads than the NPI. Just do a search man and you can find many answers. Good luck

·
Registered
926 Posts
As far as stock trim the PI heads are better but the NPI heads can go a little bit further in a machine shop than the PI heads If you plan on bolting them on and thats it go with the PI heads or else use the NPI heads but remember your compression will increase when you put the PI heads on a NPI block. If you dont plan on a SC youll be ok.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
***** to teh seller first and see what you can get free of charge. Its not your fault he sent you a mismatched set of heads. Obviously they did not come off of teh same vehicle.

-Miller

·
Tinfoil hat wearer
558 Posts
Ummm shouldn't a 1999 F15o came with PI heads.............I thought they did at least. I would complain to the seller..................if he don't wanna come up off another PI head i would file a fraudulent claim with ebay and get my money back and still keep the heads that you got from him.

·
Tinfoil hat wearer
558 Posts
casting #s would be nice to see from both heads

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I already started picking up all the fuel rails and etc, since I had planned on the PI intake swap with home-ported NPI heads. There's a tornado warning right now, as soon as it blows over, I'll grab the camera and snap a pic. 'Til then, I'm hiding in the basement on my laptop. Not even a tornado can keep me from TCCoA!:D

BTW, the intake ports are the larger, more rectangular shape of the PI head.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
azreael344 said:
Ummm shouldn't a 1999 F15o came with PI heads.............I thought they did at least. I would complain to the seller..................if he don't wanna come up off another PI head i would file a fraudulent claim with ebay and get my money back and still keep the heads that you got from him.
I believe that all 5.4's have the NPI stlye heads, only the 4.6's went to PI (in the 5.4/4.6 head compatability issue).

Joe

·
Tinfoil hat wearer
558 Posts
I've got a 2001 F150 4x4 with a 5.4 and it's got PI heads

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
1 - 16 of 16 Posts