·
Registered
658 Posts
HELL YEAH.

danman

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
heh... my mother used to own a 69 Cougar XR7. She had glasspacks installed on it and a few other things, but this is way before she and my father ever met... pretty cool though. You wouldn't think it looking at her, lol. Now she drives a minivan :( :D

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah 69 is definetly a good number, i mean year... my friends mother and father used to both drive 70 mach ones... ever since then they had always bought the same cars... but kinda went down hill... in 81 they both got zephyrs, in 85 they both got rancheros, in 89 they both got taurus's, then on to the 95 taurus's, now one of them has a sable and one has a contour, they actually have 7 cars total... all fords...

89 Taurus(Spare car, just sits there)
95 Taurus(Spare car)
99 Contour(His Dad Daily)
99 Sable(His Mom)
88LX Convertable 5spd(His Dad)
88LX 5spd(My friends)
94 Thunderbird(My friends daily)

One hell of a ford family...

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I really like the old cougars.

I mean isnt that pretty much the same thing as a mustang back then? So if you want mustang power but different look then get that cougar. Well thats what we are all about here. We want power of V8 or SC (ok some of you have a 3.8 NA) but not the mustang everyone has then get todays cougar or tbird.
Anyways, gotta love that car.

-Shawn

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
all im saying is 428 cobra jet, all numbers match, not a spot on the thing... its gotta be the rarest 69 cougar... 428!!!!! that is just amazing..

·
Registered
965 Posts
68 was a sweet year too.......

Along with being my favorite, the Cougar GT-E is a very rare car also, I'd guess as rare or maybe even more so .....

GT-E

"A total of 394 GT-E's were built that included 427 and 428 engines . A total of 256 XR-7 with 427 sideoilers were built . About 150 total GT-E's have been found, mostly in project or parts car status."

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think '69 was the best automotive year ever.
I've had:

'69 Cougar Xr-7 351w/fmx
69 Mach1 351w/4spd
69 Mach1 428 SCJw/oilcooler/4 spd/4:30locker
R code- back when R code meant something

When I first moved to AZ I started looking for an R code. I found that they were being restored for big$$ and going to auctions or shipped out of state.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Way back in 1977, I had a 1968 Cougar XR7 with a 390 GT & C6. Pretty nice car for a 17 yr old. The car was an animal. Would smoke those Polyglas GT's forever. Got 8-10 MPG of the best hi-test you could find. My buddy had a 69 XR7 with the 428/ 4 spd and his brother had a 69 Mach 1 with the cobra jet. We owned our high school, except for another friend who's brother owned the local speed shop. He had a 68 Z28 with a built 350 LT1 that would run low 12's on street tires. That was way fast back then. I bought that Cougar from the original owner for $350 cause he couldn't get rid of it with the big block (remember the gas crisis?). Yea, those cars were fast but they didn't handle and forget about stopping with 4 wheel drum brakes. Ah, the good old days, forgeddabout it-we got it real good now. Our newer cars can be just as fast, get good mileage and handle better than race cars did back then.;) Got rid of the Cougar after a while and bought a 69 GTO for $550, but thats' a whole nother story.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts