TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I drive I feel a wobbling, I jack up the car and take off the front right tire. It looks like a damn goose egg you'd see in a fubar'd basket ball. It's worn really bad and the tread is bulging out unevenly. I know the car needs an alignment but I checked the ball joints and such and nothing looks like it needs to be replaced. Perhaps me needing an alignment warped my tire and this is causing my steering and wobbling problems?

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
If you hit a bump real bad it could have caused your tire problem that you describe.

·
Registered
892 Posts
So when I drive I feel a wobbling, I jack up the car and take off the front right tire. It looks like a damn goose egg you'd see in a fubar'd basket ball. It's worn really bad and the tread is bulging out unevenly. I know the car needs an alignment but I checked the ball joints and such and nothing looks like it needs to be replaced. Perhaps me needing an alignment warped my tire and this is causing my steering and wobbling problems?
This is called "tire failure". Do not save this tire for a burnout competion. It will cause major body damage. 1st time huh? Really? WOW! I am really old.

Brad

·
Super Moderator
12,549 Posts
If you hit a bump real bad it could have caused your tire problem that you describe.

Yea, curbs, railroad tracks, and potholes are the worst offenders. I don't think just needing an alignment would cause the tire failure you described, unless it's REALLY out of alignment.

I just had to replace my right-front tire, the sidewall was cracked. The guys at the tire shop called it a "curb pinch". I tried to claim it under warranty and they gave me a 50% discount on the replacement tire as a customer courtesy. Not to bad a deal.

Well, I'm off to Dallas this morning y'all have a great day.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yeah, you must have hit something. I hit a 2x4 on the highway once with my '64 Bird and saw a 'bump' on the tire and figured I'd make it the 20 miles home. WRONG. Damn thing blew as soon as I hit 50mph, ripping off one of the side skirts. nice grand in damage from a cheap tire. NEVER drive a car that has tires that look as if they have golf balls beneath the surface (or any bumps, cracks for that matter) Your just waiting to have an incident.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Ahem, the grand in damage wasn't due to it being a "cheap tire". :rolleyes:

Anytime you hit something hard enough to put a golf ball size bulge in your tire it's time to put the spare on, or call a tow truck. Not doing so and getting back on the highway is grounds for being called a "dumbass". ;)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, well I got a new tire and had it put on and no more problems. The guy at the tire shop had a WTF look on his face.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Ahem, the grand in damage wasn't due to it being a "cheap tire". :rolleyes:

Anytime you hit something hard enough to put a golf ball size bulge in your tire it's time to put the spare on, or call a tow truck. Not doing so and getting back on the highway is grounds for being called a "dumbass". ;)
Very true. :D But hey, I was 18 when that happened. I never thought the thing would explode the way it did. It was damn crazy! I thought about the spare but ain't NO way in hell was I gonna let a local tow guy touch a show winner. Looked like one of those 'road gators' you see on hot days in Oklahoma. It took me a good while to find a fender skirt for that car too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts