TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,I went and did it-I swapped the old NPI 2V 4.6L out for a 3V 6.8L V-10.

On the truck that is...

It's a loaded 2005 crew cab Lariat longbed with the V10 and the torqshift auto. Has the 4.10 locking rear,tow-command system,and all of the little luxury goodies too. Got 13.2mpg on the way home from the dealer in a 50/50 mix of highway and stop/go city traffic. I've still gotta make time to tune it,so it's got some improvement in power and mileage coming. Dad bought the old '98 F150,so it's still going strong and will serve him well for what he needs it for.
JL

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Nice truck JL.. Looking good..

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
:D booo gas motors in trucks

·
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:D booo gas motors in trucks
You couldn't give me a diesel. Diesel is the EPA and CARB's new kick-toy.You'll see diesel fuel regulation and emissions on diesel vehicles get stupid in the next few years. That of course...means much higher fuel cost, and several fuel reformulations to meet the new standards that will be initiated. That, and the mainenance on a diesel is stupid compared to the gasoline engines. The new diesels are getting terrible fuel mileage already due to all of the emmisions changes, and it's only gonna get worse-besides..this thing makes more hp and very close to the same tq (367hp and 455ft-lbs) as the old 7.3L diesel did in stock form,and those things pull the world around no problem.
If you need more than that for a tow vehicle,then you really need to look hard at what you're towing and ask yourself if you really need to tow that much.
JL

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,116 Posts
Johnny,

That is a nice truck. That truck will serve you well. I think you are the first to have a Modular 2V, 3V and 4V all at the same time.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
Johnny,

That is a nice truck. That truck will serve you well. I think you are the first to have a Modular 2V, 3V and 4V all at the same time.

I beat him by a couple months. :D

·
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
dude.. they stuffed a 4.6 in a f250? wtf?

guess thats the smallest for the mid range since the 150 gets the 6?

·
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dude.. they stuffed a 4.6 in a f250? wtf?

guess thats the smallest for the mid range since the 150 gets the 6?
No,the base engine for the super duty trucks is the 5.4L 3V. My old '98 F150 had a 4.6L.
JL

·
6,253 Posts
oh.. so you just got a new truck then

:tongue:

thats cheating

·
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Just got done with the initial tune on the big old truck....
0-60 comes at 7.21 seconds with a bit of wheelspin on takeoff,and on the 1-2 shift. 0-100 comes at 19.64 seconds on that same run...
Not bad for a big tank like this.
A good tune does miracles for the V10 trucks-the tunes are seriously lacking in stock form. So far-I'm really pleased-now to go on a little road trip and see what kind of fuel mileage it's gonna get. It got a 12.6 mpg average yesterday on the stock tune running around Houston and on the highway over there and back.
JL

·
6,253 Posts
them V10s can get an easy 3-5mpg increase w/ a decent tune

·
Registered
803 Posts
That's a sharp looking unit there Johnny.
How much does it tip the scales at??

·
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's a sharp looking unit there Johnny.
How much does it tip the scales at??
Dunno yet-I'm gonna roll it across the scales next time I'm over at the speed shop-there's a CAT scale there close by.
JL

·
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
These trucks respond very well to a good tune...
Made some datalogged runs this evening. Did 50-70mph runs because that's the typical speeds needed to pass another vehicle.

50-70 stock=5.29 seconds
50-70 tuned=4.68 seconds
That's an improvement of .61 seconds unloaded.

Then I hitched up 6000 lbs of travel trailer(30 ft long,and just over 11 feet tall),and repeated the same test.
Here's where proper tuning really shines:
Stock 50-70=13.51 seconds
Tuned 50-70=8.98 seconds
That's a HUGE improvement of 4.53 seconds. That's a long time to be on the opposite side of the road passing.

Tried to do 0-60,but it had rained earlier in the day,and it spun like crazy tuned,and some stock,so that'll have to wait for another day.
JL

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
You couldn't give me a diesel. Diesel is the EPA and CARB's new kick-toy.You'll see diesel fuel regulation and emissions on diesel vehicles get stupid in the next few years. That of course...means much higher fuel cost, and several fuel reformulations to meet the new standards that will be initiated. That, and the mainenance on a diesel is stupid compared to the gasoline engines. The new diesels are getting terrible fuel mileage already due to all of the emmisions changes, and it's only gonna get worse-besides..this thing makes more hp and very close to the same tq (367hp and 455ft-lbs) as the old 7.3L diesel did in stock form,and those things pull the world around no problem.
If you need more than that for a tow vehicle,then you really need to look hard at what you're towing and ask yourself if you really need to tow that much.
JL
you read way to much into that comment :D

im a fan of diesel, i perfer them, being a diesel tech for a few years, i have a good understanding of them and enjoy them more then a gas motor thats all

try recliners my friend they are very relaxing :rolleyes:

anyways nice truck, i envy the fact you fair weather boys actually can actually buy 2wd trucks and not worry about it

1 - 20 of 31 Posts