TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what i'm planning on doing for my 97. I have searched, and read through countless posts, getting a lot of mixed information. Is there any definite write-up of what is needed to complete this for someone with no experience? Thanks for all help!

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I can't help you with the write-up but I have a set of rebuilt 96 casting NPI heads and PI cams for sale.... Yes, I have no shame. :zwall:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I already have the PI intake, injectors, fuel rail...pi cams, bolts, springs....what i'm most thinking about is the change that has to be made between the mating of the NPI heads to the PI intake...seal wise.

No shame! not a bad thing!

I can't help you with the write-up but I have a set of rebuilt 96 casting NPI heads and PI cams for sale.... Yes, I have no shame. :zwall:

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
The mating between the NPI heads and PI intake has been discussed many times. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the general consensus to use the "RTV Method". Search here and you should even find some good photographs about how to actually do it.

Good luck and keep us posted. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah - it's been discussed many times from my search results i tried...let me try rtv method, and get back to this!

Thanks 94

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
7,758 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
#8 is the picture i'm looking for...but maybe i need to see a picture of what that rtv actually covers on the intake..not the headgasket area.

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Just make sure to degree the cams , Ive read to many threads where
people didn't do this and it cost them their engines .

Not that I know how to properly do this .

Good Luck.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
#8 is the picture i'm looking for...but maybe i need to see a picture of what that rtv actually covers on the intake..not the headgasket area.
but its the head gasket that you're worried about sealing up....

When doing the swap, you will want PI gaskets.
The gasket will mate fine to the intake....its just the head you need to be worried about.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks bad bird - What is meant by degree the cams? I purchased some off corral

brand new 03 pi cams with valve springs and cam bolts - was the fs post.

also one more question to add...this is without cam gears...can i use the cam gears currently on my car? (the cams are romeo btw)

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Switch your name to search guru...i didn't find that post!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So does anyone know someone that has done this swap before, that involves my setup?

·
Registered
76 Posts
NPI/PI swap

I've done it more times than I care to remember.... If the heads are off the car and you know someone who can weld aluminum have them weld up the water port areas that don't seal with a PI gasket (one port on each head, use the PI gasket to identify where the weld area needs to be), if not then you'll have to do it with RTV.. There are a couple allignment tabs on the PI gaskets you'll need to grind/cut off because the holes on the heads don't line up with the tabs on the gaskets (no big deal at all). You'll also need to change the heater tube under the intake to a 99-up Mustang piece and cobble the rear part of that tube and your existing tube to get the stock hoses and sensor to work, otherwise bulk hose can handle it but you'll need to deal with the coolant temp sensor. There is also a nipple that comes out of the valley behind the water pump that'll need to be changed in order to use the PI heater tube (hose, barb and clamps on yours versus double o-ring on the PI tube). For the heads you should upgrade the springs (Comp Cams, Manley make springs that'll work). The installed height is shorter on the NPI heads so you can either check your heads for spring clearance or use .060" offset retainers to get the installed height to roughly PI installed height.... Degreeing the cams is a good idea, there are write-ups others have identified for you so I won't go into that.... You'll probably need to drill and tap a provision for a second temp sensor in the aluminum crossover of the PI intake (right by the T-stat housing area). There is a flat spot where it goes. That's about all I can think of.. It's do-able just have to pay attentin to the details.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I am 50% of the way there, I have the PI cams, but they are wrapped in towels waiting for me to get off my lazy butt and get time to put them in.

The PI intake was pretty easy. I used PI gaskets and RTV around the coolant ports. Besides the nipple that goes behind the water pump, the coolant tube that goes along side the valley instead at the bottom (the PI intake is a bunch taller and no room for the old tube), the proper alternator bracket to attach to the new points on the aluminum crossover, drilling and tapping for the second coolant sensor, creatively attaching the heater hose to the relocated coolant tube (I used a chunk of hose across the back, a T to put in the fan blockoff sensor).

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When you put those cams in, think you could snap some pics?

I am 50% of the way there, I have the PI cams, but they are wrapped in towels waiting for me to get off my lazy butt and get time to put them in.

The PI intake was pretty easy. I used PI gaskets and RTV around the coolant ports. Besides the nipple that goes behind the water pump, the coolant tube that goes along side the valley instead at the bottom (the PI intake is a bunch taller and no room for the old tube), the proper alternator bracket to attach to the new points on the aluminum crossover, drilling and tapping for the second coolant sensor, creatively attaching the heater hose to the relocated coolant tube (I used a chunk of hose across the back, a T to put in the fan blockoff sensor).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.