TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i had an idea,my friend has got a porting tool and said that porting my intake manifold would be pretty cool, i told him yeah i though about that,but i told him if you ported it to much that it could take power away,then i went on about the pi intake swap,but he said something interesting,what if i take the manifold gasket from a pi intake,and then put it over my old intake and port it out that way with a sorta template...i though it sounded cool but i wanted your opions(s)

·
Registered
9,966 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i get it now.i found an oll post its really heavy,i kinda feel stupid,but would it work for now,mabey breath a little bit better

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
the time spent on taking your manifold off, and porting it, will gain you nothing really......just get the PI intake and associated parts to go along with it, and be done with it.

Or, if you are really looking for some decent power, just put a 75 dry shot on it, and call it a day.

A 75 shot dropped my 95(when it was stock with the stock 4.6L) from a 15.8 @ 86 mph, to a 14.1 @ 95 mph.
Not a bad gain for $500 bucks.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
whats to not like about the juice?

set the engine up correctly, as in, colder plugs, a little dropped timming, and you should be just fine with no more than a 75 shot.

Put it this way, I ran stock platinum plugs(stock heat range), on a 75 shot for roughly 30,000 miles, and it was fine until I put a chip in it(that bumped timing), and upped the shot to about a 125....

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i dont have anything agianst it i just want to make power without the juice then i will put nitro on it,i have thought about it

·
Super Moderator
16,984 Posts
Well i had an idea,my friend has got a porting tool and said that porting my intake manifold would be pretty cool, i told him yeah i though about that,but i told him if you ported it to much that it could take power away,then i went on about the pi intake swap,but he said something interesting,what if i take the manifold gasket from a pi intake,and then put it over my old intake and port it out that way with a sorta template...i though it sounded cool but i wanted your opions(s)
sorry that intake is junk, and the "template" idea is really bad, the PI port shape is not what gives the gain the PI intake has. even with the max amount of porting done to it, the runners and elbow are still going to void any efforts.

save your pennies and get a PI intake or a new motor;)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
i dont have anything agianst it i just want to make power without the juice then i will put nitro on it,i have thought about it
ill agree with you there. to me raw power (not that a stock 2v 4.6 could be considered "raw power":tongue:) has always seems better than pushin a button for "quick power". ive been scouting my yards for 99+ 2v's and found nothing.. seems like the Pi swap is on the rise!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
on the early 2v intake the elbow is the restriction heres my new elbow...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ok not to HiJack the thread, so if NPI porting is bad, How about going with a PI intake and portin out NPI heads? Is it possible, will that create the same boat ancher senario?

And yes before I get the "if you are going to go that far" comment, would it be a viable solutions to the do it yourself porter if you gasket matched things. I have done a couple sets of heads for some older trucks and some derby cars, but they have all been older motors then this.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts