TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have searched for this and came up with nothing that says it cant be done or it can be done....so here goes (forgive me if i didnt see it posted or overlooked)...my engine still ticks and now an intake leak, i cant find any npi heads around at any of the junk yards here (or pi heads)... so my big question is can i just swap my heads over if i order them or do i need to do the whole swap with the intake,maf,tb, and all that expensive goodness ,,money is my big deal here my wife says to sell the car but i love my cat and dont want to get rid of her.....

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Yes, if you go pi then u have to change the intake and related parts

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,116 Posts
Well technically, you could just swap the npi heads with pi heads using a head changing kit and re-use just about everything from your car. You would need to address the same intake manifold, intake port on the head difference as the NPI head guys using a PI intake. On a 95 and older car, it would be cheaper to find a complete newer 4.6 and swap it in when it is all said and done. If money is the issue, sell the car...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

thanks alot for the replys so fast, and for the links for something i couldnt find i dont know if its the search terms or what i used or didnt go far enuff into the results i went to like page 5 and 6 so please forgive for asking something that has had been asked b4 my engine has only like 80k on it and the last mech that tried to fix the ticking from the lifter said my engine was in exelent condition and under the vavle covers looked better than most of the cars he fixes with less than 40k on them....so thanks for the replys again

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
thanks alot for the replys so fast, and for the links for something i couldnt find i dont know if its the search terms or what i used or didnt go far enuff into the results i went to like page 5 and 6 so please forgive for asking something that has had been asked b4 my engine has only like 80k on it and the last mech that tried to fix the ticking from the lifter said my engine was in exelent condition and under the vavle covers looked better than most of the cars he fixes with less than 40k on them....so thanks for the replys again
Go to car-part.com and get yourself a pair of NPI or PI heads (you can bolt up either set), you can find a set of them for under $100. You can get a set of head gaskets from Nick @ modularheadshop.com for a little over $75 - that's about the cheapest place you will find them. Reuse everything else and run it. That IS your most cost effective solution outside of someone giving you an engine.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
well.....his engine "ticks"....how will new heads solve this? unless there is some kind of valve damage or is due to severely clogged up lash adjuster bores, it is likely that his ticking is related to the vavletrain components; re-using faulty components will likely not resolve "ticking"...unless of course the heads come with all brand-new lash adjusters, followers, valves, springs, etc

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well sorry about the confusion about the "ticking" so far 4 mech told me its my intake lifter on passenger side on the 2nd cylinder going back..you cant hear it is the head is cold (as in below 50 degrees thats just at idle) is i give it some gas you can hear it when its cold but after it warms up a couple of minutes or drive it about a mile then you can hear it. i tried moving the injector like someone told me to see if the noise moves with it and it stayed there. plus all my plug wells were filled with coolant a couple of weeks ago, and it started missing, so i changed all plugs and wires and ran a heavy bead of die electric grease around all the boots and cleaned all wells out and ran stop leak through it. i guess thats all thats a matter so i was going to have my heads overhauled and surfaced and my intake gasket replaced but all the machined shops are wanting like 700 a head for everything execpt for removing and installing on the car. sorry so long and i didnt specified everything b4 on the thread

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
well.....his engine "ticks"....how will new heads solve this? unless there is some kind of valve damage or is due to severely clogged up lash adjuster bores, it is likely that his ticking is related to the vavletrain components; re-using faulty components will likely not resolve "ticking"...unless of course the heads come with all brand-new lash adjusters, followers, valves, springs, etc
When you get a used 4.6L head from a salvage yard, they are NOT going to take the time to remove the lifters & cam from the head (at least they didn't with me). If you pull it yourself at a u-pull-it, you can definately buy it complete. You get all those parts you need with the head (since they are IN the head). Ticking problem solved.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Roger if you're going to go and pull the parts yourself there aren't any local places that allow it. In Knoxville you have the Pull A Part http://www.pullapart.com if that is better. Otherwise, you're stuck going to Blountville Auto Salvage or A1 Auto Salvage in Kingsport itself.

Blountville Auto Salvage
3608 Tennessee 126
Blountville, TN 37617-4514
(423) 323-5940

A1 Auto Salvage
420 Snapps Ferry Road
Kingsport, TN 37663-3174
(423) 349-6161

·
Registered
87 Posts
i have searched for this and came up with nothing that says it cant be done or it can be done....so here goes (forgive me if i didnt see it posted or overlooked)...my engine still ticks and now an intake leak, i cant find any npi heads around at any of the junk yards here (or pi heads)... so my big question is can i just swap my heads over if i order them or do i need to do the whole swap with the intake,maf,tb, and all that expensive goodness ,,money is my big deal here my wife says to sell the car but i love my cat and dont want to get rid of her.....

If you don't mind the drive up 75, I know where you can get a 2003 Police Intercepor engine\Trans out of police cars for $300.00.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts