TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Drive the button does not work. In park I can turn off or on O/D. Today I turned off O/D in park then drove. I was in fact off, then I was able to turn it back on while still in drive, but could not turn it off. I've done no troubleshooting yet. Could it be a simple as a loose connection? Anything specific to look at?

· Super Moderator
14,406 Posts
Sounds like the wire to the switch goes intermittent when you move the shifter; You can add a switch in parallel with it, and not cause problems.
The type of switch we use is called SPST Momentary; it shorts both wires together when you push it. It's an input to the eec, which does all the shifting.

· Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grog, that helps with troubleshooting. I know the connector slides up into the shift handle and it's kinda held in a cradle. I'm thinking if it slide out of there it would be a whole lot more intermittent. If I remember correctly from disassembly of others these wires are pulled kinda tight. I'll have to make some time to open that space up and troubleshoot.

· Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
23,912 Posts
The strands are probably broken inside the wires insulation, that’s why it’s intermittent. Wont be able to visually tell unless you spot the point it rubbed or got snagged to cause the internal break but it’s possible the wires just fatigued and broke on their own, just give it the old wiggle test. You can do this by unplugging the connector under the console top and probing the two leads with a multimeter set on continuity and move the lever back and forth whilst holding the OD button down(completing the circuit).

· Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, exactly. Just need to find a connector to open up or trace all the way back to the ECU. And of course make time to do it...
Thanks for the replies, it gives me some direction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts