TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a stupid quesiton, but here goes :)

... So recently, in attempts to put off getting a tune until I get atleast cams in my car, I decided to try manually running it up through the gears. With the car in drive, it shifted really early due to the J-mod Alan did for me, since the shift points havent' been moved with a tune.

So, there I am, sitting with the shifter in first (Is this a stupid thing to do??), ready to do a WOT run. I take off, and before I even touch the shifter at like 4800 rpms, it upshifts, with the gear selector still in first... I didn't know these cars would do that...

Well this got me to thinking... With the Overdrive off, if the engine spins high enough, will my car do a WOT 3-4 shift and blow my transmission? or does the button actually stop it from shifting?

Yes, I know I am paranoid about breaking my stuff :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
in 96 they changed the trans module so in 1st it will go up to 2nd, its dumb I know NEVER do 2-4's or 4-2's it will kill your trans after a couple and on te 3-4's let off of the gas and push the button that will help a lot.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Yeah, that surprised me about my 97, the 1-2 shift when I am "holding" first. But that is the only exception to the rule I think, I have tried, and maybe just ran out of room and time, but I never got it to shift to 3rd when attempting to hold 2nd. OD lockout will lockout OD.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
ncoop23 said:
in 96 they changed the trans module so in 1st it will go up to 2nd, its dumb I know NEVER do 2-4's or 4-2's it will kill your trans after a couple and on te 3-4's let off of the gas and push the button that will help a lot.
okay....makes sense....my 95 would stay in first until redline.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts