TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K., exactly how many universal joints are on a 1997 Thunderbird? I know there is one at each end (front/rear) of the driveshaft, right? But, how many are there at the rear driveshafts (or, are they more correctly called halfshafts)? I previously posted a thread about a 4R70W transmission for a 2001-2003 Mustang that I just bought, and I'm going to have Alan at DirtyDog Performance install my new trans (and a new torque converter!) after he does a little work to it, as I have neither the time nor the place to work on my car myself. Anyway, I'm going to see if he can replace the two u-joints at the driveshaft for me at that time, too.

Should I get greasable or non-greasable u-joints?

Thanks, and everyone have a great New Year!

Dennis

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
The rear axles have CV joints, not U-joints, and they don't typically go bad unless the boot got ripped and all the grease leaked out of them.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I think most will agree with me on the brute force u-joints being the best for our vehicles. Greasable is nice if you can get to the fittings and remember to. The brute force joints seem to seal up well and will last as long as the original ones did. The standard industrial number for our cars is 354, the neapco brute force is 5900bf you will need 2 of them. I can get them locally, for some reason rockauto doesn't seem to carry them. I don't know what they cost me I know advance seems to have the best online price.
Alan

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think most will agree with me on the brute force u-joints being the best for our vehicles. Greasable is nice if you can get to the fittings and remember to. The brute force joints seem to seal up well and will last as long as the original ones did. The standard industrial number for our cars is 354, the neapco brute force is 5900bf you will need 2 of them. I can get them locally, for some reason rockauto doesn't seem to carry them. I don't know what they cost me I know advance seems to have the best online price.
Alan
Yeah, I went up to Advance (there's one not 500 feet from my apartment!) to get two of them when I had to run up to the grocery store to get a couple things for the "wild" evening my wife & I had planned for our New Year's celebration at home (anyone notice the sarcasm there?!!), but they had closed already. So, I'll pick them up as soon as I get a chance and bring them down with the T-Bird when I have you do the work, Alan.

Dennis

1 - 5 of 5 Posts