TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is an oxgen sensor change required on a '96 Cougar 3.8L?

Car has 60,000 mi.

Looking up the maintenance schedule at Advance auto parts site it gave no interval.

The new ones listed in Advance Auto parts replacement parts section, stated they had a change interval of either 60 or 100k mi.

So what is it, does a light on the dash come on when it is time?

Apparently the two on the car are both downstream of the cat, which appears odd.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
change them every 100k at least, more often if you wish. yes they are downstream of the cats, i never got that.. and you shouldnt be getting a CEL, you jsut have to replace them... i am getting a check engine light, only because my HG's went and antifreeze got blown all over them...

·
Registered
431 Posts
On a 96 you definately have 4 sensors. Look up further there are 2 in front of the primary cats.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
On a 96 you definately have 4 sensors. Look up further there are 2 in front of the primary cats.
Correct. The front two monitor the A/F ratio, the rear two monitor the effieciency of the primary catalytic converters.

-Rod

·
Registered
325 Posts
My '97 has just over 180,000 (I put them all on) and it still gets 22 around town and 27 highway. I suppose I 'should' replace them, but it's hard to spend that kinda dough when it runs so nice!!

·
Registered
647 Posts
How many O2 sensors are there on a 95?

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts