TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if anyone has had any luck cleaning O2 sensors as opposed to replacing them? My '97 T Bird OBDII system indicates that O2 sensor, Bank 1, Sensor 2 is showing high resistance. I was thinking about trying to clean it before I go out and spend $50 for a new one. Anybody do this sucessfully? Thanks, Phil

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've heard of it being done, you take a propane torch and heat the little sucker up, I'm pretty sure it actually works if it's just all carboned up.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I think too. I bet it is just the carbon that is keeping it from working. Silly to keep replacing these at $50 a pop. These Ford O2 sensors seem to go on a regular basis as the cars get some miles behind them. I don't know why you would need to heat them up first to clean them, since there are plenty of produts that remove carbon. The trick is to remove it without damaging the sensor. I have had luck cleaning Mass Air Sensors using straight freon. Cleans debris and leaves absolutly no residue. Now to find something that would do as well with O2 sensors.

·
Registered
141 Posts
by heating them up with a torch it burns the carbon off without using any chemicals that could hurt the sensor worse, and well, it's exposed to heat all the time anyway.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it exposed to heat anyway, why would you use more heat to burn it off. I think more heat would either harden it on there more or melt the outer screen of the probe very quickly and destroy it. How about a fuel injection throttle body cleaner that is safe for mafs and o2 sensors?

·
Registered
141 Posts
i guess that would work, but I only ever heard of the torch burning the carbon off, and the torch makes the sensor alor hotter than it is from just the exhaust.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
I never palyed with the O2 senors on my V8 bird, how do you get those suckers off?

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Attempting to clean an Oxygen sensor is useless.
If it's failing or has failed-it's not any good,and will need replaced.Replace it.
JL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts