TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. I have a '94 T-Bird with a 4.6 V8 from a 99' Lincoln (stock engine threw a rod at 125k ) :( Anywayz I have straight pipes, just cut off the mufflers and put on Magna Flow tips and I was wanting to make it even louder. I asked the guy at my local exhaust shop and he said that if I was to cut off or gut my cats that it would throw off the O2 sensors and it could really mess up my computer and other things. I was wondering if any1 else has cut off or gutted their cats and could tell me what happens, or if there is another way that I can give my Thunderbird some thunder.

2. Is it normal for my engine to not wanna go above 3,000 RPM after I start it up and its cold? All my friends cars have no problem going over 3 grand when they are cold, :confused:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just a little side note, I don't have to pass any emission tests, we don't have those in my area, :D :tongue: :D

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Either get a chip or MIL eliminator it tricks the computer in thinking the O2 sensors are still working and as for your second question try cleaning your MAF thats most likely your prob

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll give cleaning the MAF a try, but where would I get one of those chips??? Hope it isn't very expensive either, :(

·
Registered
9,966 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I had mine removed and nothing happened as far as throwing codes. I don't know if it's the rear 02s being dirty or a glitch in the 94/5 computers, but I have had mine off for about 5k and still no code or performance issues. I have heard of others saying the same, but can't remember who.

Rob

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I took off my air silencer today after I finally figured out where it was, and I took a look at my MAF, it is clean as a whistle yet still doesn't wanna go above 3k when its cold.... Any other suggestions?

And thx to every1 for the advice on my cats, :D

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I just slapped in a set of dynatech high flow metal matrix cats in my ride, and am xtremely pleased with the results with flowmasters, my motor h as a distinct burble when you back off the throttle at highway speeds, and raps a bit with blipping the throttle in neutral. Not so loud as to get cops mad, but it now has a real presence.. the cats and o2 sensors are there to make the car run better in closed loop, and allow a leaner burn when evrythings right... they cant be holding back much pressure as it seems more powerful...I'll know for sure after dyno ing it on the 26th...

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
this may be a funny question but is it running rough at idle you might have a bad plug wire or plug or low compression just a thought. Or does it not go to or above 3k until its warmed up??

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
once its warm, it runs great, just when its cold it doesnt wanna go above 3k, or even it is warm and i turn it off, and start it back up again, it wont wanna go over 3k for a lil bit even thought its warm.... :confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts