TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Hawkeye21 here with a little question I was thinking about. I have the plan to install Nagnaflow, or Dynaflow Dual Exhaust on my car, however, recently, I've been getting start-up smoke, and terrible Gas Mileage, so, I figured I'd tackle that before I get New Exhaust.

After Investigation, I came to the conclusion of Seafoaming, and buying new O2 sensors to install afterward, since they never have been changed, and could be throwing a code, which is why my Check Engine light comes on after about 5 minutes of driving. Anyway, while about to buy the O2 sensors, I thought a little. If I am installing new Exhaust, won't they remove parts to make the Exhaust work better, and if so, will I need the O2 sensors after the New Exhaust is installed.

So, that is my question. During Magnaflow, or Dynaflow Dual Exhaust installation, is in common practice to remove certain parts, and if so, what will happen to the O2 sensors. Do you think I should change them before, or after I get my Exhaust? My Car is a 1994 T-Bird 3.8(Non-SC)

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
most shops will not remove the o2 sensors. if you are having new cats put on, you can install the o2 sensors back in close to the original locations and everything should work fine (assuming the o2 sensors are functioning properly). if no cats are going to be installed, the rear o2 sensors need not be installed(although doing this will throw a code) because their main function is to make sure the cats are working right. the front two o2 sensors need to be kept in at all times because the EEC uses the readings from them. I'm sure the shop you go to would install new sensors if you provide them when they do your work.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, well, since I have a 94 Bird, and the sensors, to my knowledge from what I've read, there's only 2 on the 94 model, with 4 on the 95-97 models. With my model only having 2 O2 sensors, it's advised to keep them on when getting new Exhaust because they throw a code. Understood, so, I guess I better save a little more for O2 sensors when I get my exhaust. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts