TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a scanner for my OBD but I'm having a problem. Where the hell is the plug in my car? It's driving me crazy, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok i see a plug right there but it is a different kind than is on my scanner? Are there different kinds of plugs for these?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
All OBD-II diagnostic ports are required to be within x number of inches/feet from the steering wheel or something like that. I was suprised to see it in my 97 all the way over on the passenger side.

What scanner did you get? Is it an OBD-II scanner?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
From the description it should work. The plug is under the glove box right next to the center console. It may have a cap on it.

Any way you can post a pic of the plug and the scanner end to make sure you have the right one and have located the plug?

Rob

·
Registered
179 Posts
My scanner from auto-x-ray came with several different cables all color coded my 97 XR7 uses a distinct "Ford" cable while the GM/Chrysler cable is labeled generic.
Does your cable physically not fit? did you remove the safety cover that is present on some of the OBD connectors? I know it sound silly but is the connector on the scanner upside down?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
In 1996 every car sold in America was required to be OBD-II. The T-bird got it in 1994 on V8 models. The V6 models from 1989-1995 (including SC) is EEC-IV and is under the hood near a strut tower (I believe this is where all models had it). If your plug is under the glove box, and the description is correct on that site, it should work just fine.

Check with a friend that has any 1996 or newer car and plug that into theirs to make sure it is correct. Theres will be around the steering collum. I still don't know how Ford got away with it being on the passenger side, maybe some type of grandfather clause.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
OK, are you sure your looking at the ODB II connector that is located UNDER the glove compartment on the underside of the dash, not the ARC/EVO test connector INSIDE the glove box on the top right of the inside of the glove box?

The Ford ODB II connector is a "D" shaped female connector and it should be located dead center at 2.5 inches from the left / drivers side edge of the glove box door on the underside of the dash, right where the finished edge of the lower dash ends. (In my 97', btw it's 2.5" to the right of the left edge mentioned above)

As far as Ford locating it there - I've read the ODB II standard is that the connector must be within 3 feet of the driver. (not sure about the sources credibility). Out of curiosity I just took a tape measure out to the car and laid it out flat across the console and put the 3 ft mark dead center of the connector location and the tape measure ends about 3 inches from the drivers door panel.

If seems a 3 ft ODB II cable would be just long enough to reach the driver with a bit of room to spare. It seems everyone just expects to find it on the drivers side of the car, I did to when I looked for it to, but it doesn't have to be there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts