TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pin 16 (yellow wire) on the OBD II under dash connector is supposed to be “Hot At All Times”, I assume +12 volts. I am unable to read any voltage at all at the pin or use a basic hand held code scanner, as they are not self powered.

Can someone tell me what voltage pin 16 should read, and is there maybe a fuse I could check. The car is working fine but sooner or later I may have to scan for codes and I don't want any last minute surprises.

Thank you

·
Registered
3,726 Posts

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Do you get voltage on both sides of the fuse? There is a hole that allows you to test the voltage without removing it, just put the negative side to ground and test each side. I don't remember now which side is hot and which one is fused, but battery voltage should be on either side, 12.8-whatever your battery is putting out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I am getting 12 volts on both sides of the fuse. The manual does not indicate any inline fuse on this wire so it may be broken or disconnected.

Thank you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Up Date

Obviously I am not guaranteeing this, but I tapped into the code reader side of the 16 pin connector with a 9 volt battery. Pins 4 and 5 are ground and connected to each other (not sure why) and pin 16 is +12 volts. Both plugged in or not, the reader has a bright display and behaves just as the manual predicts. I am talking about a Harbor Freight CEN-TECH CAN OBD II, which is apparently the same as a Geniscan GS300.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts