TCCoA Forums banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
rwenzing said:
Ford used a Hall Effect CMP from 96~98 and a Variable Reluctance Sensor CMP from 99~01. Each takes a different alignment tool. For identification purposes, HE sensors have 3 electrical pins, VRS have 2.
I found it here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207905
The thread deals with synchronizing the Explorer cam position sensor but I found the above excerpt to be interesting.

I'm posting this in both threads.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 93 Thunderbird LX it had a 3.8 v6 ohv I put a 4.6 v8 from a 97 Thunderbird. I have the engine wire harness how many wires need to be changed and which ones

·
Registered
945 Posts
Depends. Do you just want it to run or do you need it to be like it left the factory with the 4.6.

Also is it manual swapped or are you running the 97 4r70? Because you will not be able to use the stock AOD

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got the engine from a guy on OfferUp he said it came out of a 97 Thunderbird but it's a 4.6 V8 steeda motor and it had the transmission already with it and it says 4.0 on it the one that came out of the 3.8 said 22 l. I already got it all in there I have the engine harness but I just was wondering how I'm going to hook it up? the connection on the driver's side firewall is round. would be easier to just go get the rest of the wiring through the dash from the junk yard or can I just splice them

it doesn't have to be perfect just run for now

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
630 Posts
Did you get the ECM with it? The engine control harness goes to the passenger side. The wires for the gauges and warning lights goes to the drivers side. The 97 dash was different, so I'm not sure if everything will work, someone else may know that piece better.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,052 Posts
It will require a lot of rewiring, and that may be an understatement. You really will need a complete donor car/harness. The engine and transmission harness needs to be swapped. To make the transmission harness work, which connects through the dash harness, you will also need to rewire the dash and adapt it for the existing body harness which is substantially different as well. Pick up the EVTM for both model year cars and do some reading so you can decide what approach and level of work you're up for.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i have the ECm and all the wires are there I think. I'll take some pictures of what I got maybe you guys can point anything out that I don't have

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
You will need the wiring harness from the 97 dash at minimum to get the car running. I hope you are up for the task.

·
Registered
945 Posts
This is how I ran my 1990 SC when I swapped it to a 96 Explorer 5.0.

I ran the engine, engine harness, and computer completely separate of the body harness.
I ran them on their own fuse boxes with their own relay box which also controlled the fuel pump.
I spliced the gauge wires from the eec into the dash wiring and the fuel pump wires into the control wires from the eec.

That round connecter on the driver side is your body harness. Do not mess with it.

Kinda busy rn so I cant go into too much detail but when Im free I will elaborate more.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,620 Posts
If you can find the harness that runs from the EEC down the passenger of the engine bay from a 96-97 all you’d need to modify(splice) would be the connectors that go to the dash and the connector that connects to the main body harness, and from there it basically plugs and plays

·
Registered
945 Posts
Ok. Things youll need.
Easy access to wiring diagrams
Aftermarket fusebox and relay box. You can get them at AutoZone for $20 each.
Spare wiring of varying colors and gauges.
Soldering iron, solder, and knowledge of how to solder.
Self tapping screws and washers
Four feet of 4 gauge wire
And a lot of patience.

Here we go. Full thread hijack at this point boys.

This is what I am using as my example. It is a 1990 SC with an explorer 5.0, paired to an m5r2. It was built as a drift missile, so everything done was just to make it run and that was good enough.

Leave your factory starter relay inplace, but add a 4 gauge wire to the run side. Same side the factory body harness is connected to.

Run that wire to your added fusebox. I used the factory 96 explorer box, but a fusebox is a fusebox.

This will house your fuel pump fuse, eec main fuse, o2 heater fuse, eec memory fuse, and ignition coil power fuse. The eec memory fuse will also be used to keep power to the OBD2 port.

The relays control the fuel pump, eec, o2 heater, and ignition coil power. You can also add a relay for your fan, since the Tbirds EEC has a signal wire to kick that on.

Get your self one of these wire brackets(?), off a 96 or 97, to protect the harness as from getting cut or shorting to the body. You can also see where I added my EEC ground on the right.

These are the signal wires coming from the EEC and engine harness for rpm, oil pressure, coolant temp, speed, obd port, ect. I honestly dont remember every wire as I did this swap in the summer of 2019 within a 3 weeks period. Fun fact, I put on 25lbs during this build.

Here is the wiring popping through to the driver side, under the dash and then up to the instrument panel. That was the easiest was I found to cross them over.
And thats that! I will not get into which wire goes where or does what because an explorer harness is different from a birds. But the swap you are planning is similar enough to mine to where this, imo, will probably be helpful.

·
Registered
12 Posts
when you get time can you send me the diagram of what exactly you did I really appreciate it. I checked and I do have the whole 97 wiring

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,620 Posts
If you have the whole 97 wiring all you need to do is swap harnesses on the passenger side and splice the connectors into the dash. You don’t need to do what wile e Coyote did jumpering wires directly to the cluster and whatnot(nor did he😉)

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
630 Posts
And actually this car might get a 4.6 if I dont go back to a v6
347, FTW! Do you want to be slow like everyone else with a 4.6?

***Yes, I'm bored and want to see how much hate I'll get for that comment🤣

·
Registered
945 Posts
Thats kinda why I parked the thing to begin with. Hasnt cracked in half yet. But it decided to start telling jokes. And I dont find knock-knock jokes funny

41 - 60 of 69 Posts