TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife just called me to inform me that OD is dead on my '96 T-Bird. While I have just recently picked up an '04 Mercury Marauder (I absolutely love it), we were hoping to use the T-Bird as a driver for awhile. It has almost 134,000 mi. on it.

I was wondering if there is any way to repair the OD band without removing the entire trans, and if it can be done for reasonable cost. Otherwise, I'm going to have to see if I can find a reasonably priced replacement tranny for the rest of the cars life.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
You can get a good used trans for around 400 bucks. the 96-97 trans is one of the better 4rw70's but most people opt for a 98 mark 8 trans as it is an easy swap with some better internals and torque converter. You can search on car-part.com for yards near you.

Hope this helps

-Miller

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very cool and very helpful...did not know of the existence of car-part.com. THANKS!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would anyone forsee any problems w/ driving this thing with OD off for awhile until I can find time to have the trans swapped?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
dfjkl said:
Would anyone forsee any problems w/ driving this thing with OD off for awhile until I can find time to have the trans swapped?

Thanks again.
When you click the OD off button does the light on the dash come on?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
If the "run" fuse is blown, it won't let you turn OD on/off. Better a 15 cent fuse than a $400 transmission job. :leftright

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK. Nice to know. Operating under the assumption that it is the nylon band that shifts it into OD that broke, is it a problem to run the thing in drive until I get it fixed? While I don't want to completely tear up the trans, I'm probably going to just replace it so I don't really care in the long run, but I want to know for sure if it is going to cause any serious damage just driving it with OD off.

Thanks.

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
Running the car with the OD off shouldn't do anything to it. It'll just kill your freeway mileage. All you're doing when you press the OD toggle button is telling the computer to not try and engage the OD band, locking out OD. I drove mine for a few weeks with OD off without hurting anything. THis was after my J-mod. I pulled the OD servo and didn't get it back onto the band like I was supposed to :D But yeah.. shouldn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool. That's what I thought, just wanted confirmation. Thanks to all!

I'm thinking about just getting another one to swap into it for the time being...but the wife isn't signing off on it right now.....blah. For now...I'm thinking that will be the easiest course though....and I think she'll be signing off on it soon.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone have a ball park on what it might cost just to have the OD fixed? How hard is it to replace the band that probably failed?

Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it worth investigating a repair on this.....or should I look for a boneyard trans to replace it for hopefully another 50,000 mi. or so. Also....anything distinguishing (numbers, etc.) that I should look for on a 4R70W to make sure I'm not getting an AODE or something if I end up going that route?

Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GreenBird said:
If the "run" fuse is blown, it won't let you turn OD on/off. Better a 15 cent fuse than a $400 transmission job. :leftright
Is this in the normal fuse panel? If that fuse is blown, what are the symptoms? My symptoms are like the band is broken. When OD attempts to engage, it just neutralizes. If I lock out OD, I can drive it normally.

Thanks for the assistance.

·
Registered
708 Posts
My car has the same thing yours does. I have been daily driving the thing for two years. the gas mileage suks, and the most you can do is like 65-70mph. at first you wont go over 50, then after a while its 55, 60, now I cruise the highway, 73 miles a day and I keep a steady 65mph, no problems. Also must keep in mind, the engine and accessories will wear quicker.

FYI: I replaced the MLPS, and both shift solenoids, no luck. Looks like it's the direct clutch. :mad:
good luck

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been told that the trans has to come out and apart to be able to replace that worn band, so I'm looking at picking up another one and swapping it in. Found one at a VERY reasonable $225 off of car-part.com. I've called the place and they still have it, and I've asked around about the place, and have heard nothing but good things. Plus they warranty it for 100days. So, I'll probably pick it up there and have it just swapped in.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another question. I have a choice between a '96 and '97 trans. Do the 97's have the up to date accumulator's, etc., or should I tear into it and update those parts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Couldn't he just drop the pan/valve body and replace the OD band? Haven't gotten to my Jmod yet but from reading the trans tech articles that seems more than entirely possible. It seems kind of a waste of money to buy a whole new trans when you could just do it yourself.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've asked, but no one has told me if it was possible to change the band without pulling the trans out and apart. A local Ford shop told me it has to come out and apart.

·
Registered
162 Posts
if you go to this link and click on A-Trains shift kit install and read through it, there is a part discussing the OD band and its replacement. Hopefully that will help you out a bit and save you some money :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can't find anything in any of the documents that explains how to go about changing the band, or what it attaches to on the other side of the OD servo, or what it even looks like. About the only thing Jerry's bible or A-Train's guide deal with is changing the OD servo and re-attaching the band if you "mis-place" it. I welcome instructions on how to mess w/ the band itself. I have never opened a trans beyond taking off the pan though...and am not anxious to to kill the trans poking around in it when it is perfectly driveable currently (without OD though). I don't know what I'm doing with it really, and the documentation on this specific problem is somewhat sketchy, unless I'm not seeing something that everyone else knows is out there.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts