TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so the cougar has started to make a very odd noise. it makes a weird buzz when it is idling in park. if i hit the gas it will go away. i got under it today and it sounds like it is coming from the transmission or the torque converter. any reason why either of these would make such a noise.

the only other thing that i could think of is maybe the cats. but i don't know why they would make a noise.

Im just looking for some ideas. i am completely lost when it comes to transmissions

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok i kinda thought of that later i will have to check that out. thanx. it just made me nervous that it could be tranny trouble.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,374 Posts
The third cat on my car is toast, it rattles a bit with the engine idling (in park or drive). If I hit it (obviously cool w/ engine off) it makes that sound.

Good excuse for an upgrade to true duals. :D

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i was kinda hopin it would be the cats cuz then i would have an excuse too. but i think i might do it anyhow. my excuse is the stock exhaust sux! terminator, r u planning on getting the mandrel exhaust system kit?

·
Super Moderator
9,374 Posts
I haven't done a lot of research or planning on the exhaust upgrade yet because there are a few things that need to take precedence at the immediate moment, but yes, I was considering the mandrel bent system. What I am undecided about is muffler choice and whether I want 2.25" or 2.5".

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,374 Posts
Snapped this pic while I was doing the J-mod for reference to make sure I didn't screw anything up.

I have the arrow pointing to the EPC solenoid (corrected).

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
uhhhh.... I thought that was TCC Solenoid & EPC buried behind Manual Shift Lever guts & Main Valve Stem in this pic.

·
5,650 Posts
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/687/epc.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

That's not the EPC solenoid you are pointing to. That's the TCC solenoid. The EPC is the solenoid right next to the manual lever. Basically the first electrical connection you see left of the C-clamp (Brown & Blue/Orange wires).

·
Super Moderator
9,374 Posts
Ahhh, I'll have to correct that then after I get home. Oops... :D

·
Super Moderator
9,374 Posts
I'd imagine it's no worse than the J-mod; drain the tranny then drop the pan and pull the filter, then you'll see what I put up in the pic.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
nobody's saying anything about the accumulators? they buzz too, especially on a 95 trans with the crappy old ones. mines dead out by the house right now, but the accums have been buzzing for like a year, before that, i was planning on pulling them and putting the 97 ones in before the whole thing locked up.
plus when the heat sheilds on my fathers ranger came loose they made more of a "rattling" noise not really a buzz. but i would agree thats the cheapest, and first place to start. we ended up putting a set of big twistclamps around the things to stop it till we got a MIG welder to fix them.
if thats not it i would go for the accums, and probably the noid while your in there, couldn't hurt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts