TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so my 94 LX has been going in the red like my car is shut off in right turns and at stops, i'm not low on oil and its fresh... i have noticed a leak from around the filter( yes it's tight!! :) ) and also the rear main is leaky but what might cause this... i have noticed a slight tick from valves lately too... anyone have a similar problem??? :confused::confused:

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
Is your gauge "going in the red"

If so, and you aren't low on oil or anything - it's probably just the sending unit or a loose wire.

-Melon

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes it's like the car is shut off in the red... it's below red as a matter of fact... the thing that worries me is the oil leak that is around that area as well... i have read of a cracked sending unit but will that leak??

·
Registered
418 Posts
Is your gauge "going in the red"

If so, and you aren't low on oil or anything - it's probably just the sending unit or a loose wire.

-Melon
I agree. Sending unit. Just re placed mine

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
which one is it?? autozone.com shows 2 one for electonicc and one for light...?

·
Super Moderator
7,479 Posts
The reason it drops into the red all of a sudden is that your gauge isn't really a gauge, just an idiot light turned into a gauge. When you have 7psi of oil pressure, it goes to somewhere in the middle. When you drop below 7psi, it drops to 0. Before you replace the sensor, get a real oil pressure gauge on there and see what the actual pressure is. The fact that you have an oil leak and a valve tap, and that it only happens when turning right and stopping leads me to believe it probably is low on oil. When you stop or turn, the oil gets sloshed around in the pan, and if you are low, it can starve the pump, and you will lose pressure. It could also be sludge in the top of the motor, which would prevent oil from draining back to the pan, and also starve the pump, and cause the pressure to drop.

Also, your leak around the filter is likely the filter adapter gasket. The gasket is cheap, and it will probably take about 2 hours for someone with a basic mechanical skill to change it.

And once you fix the problem, go get an oil pressure sending unit for an 87 tbird, and solder a jumper wire across the resistor on the back of your oil pressure gauge, and that will convert it to a real gauge that will actually tell you what your oil pressure is, instead of just whether you have above or below 7psi.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
turns out due to the oil leak at the filter the sending unit had oil on it!! i guess every time i made a turn or stopped it made a bad connection or something... the rear main will be a heckofa chore but i plan on doing it within the month before it gets too cold out! haha thanks Mikey for your help and i do plan on just getting an aftermarket gauge here not too far from now!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts