TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Pawn Shop Pro
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to make a box to where I can test and run a 12 volt car stereo. Anybody know how I can do that or if you have made one can you give me some instructions on how to do so? thanks much,

-anthony-

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
How long are you looking to run it?

My suggestion would be to just take a car battery and connect the power and ground wires from the deck. You might also have to hook up the accessory and illumination from the deck, but that just depends on the deck

·
Registered
157 Posts
Alot depends on what kind of testing you want to do. If you want to test the stereo (no seperate amp) on a workbench, a power supply like one of these. Click should work fine. Definately check to see what kind of current draw you will have before buying anything though. If your looking to test a whole system.. amp subs and all, like Falcon said, a fused battery with a charger on it would be the way to go.

·
Pawn Shop Pro
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I just want to cut a DIN size or little bit larger hole and 2 speaker holes on the box so that I can test just a cd or tape player.

·
Super Moderator
10,651 Posts
A power supply is the way to go...

a five amp 12 voly power supply from radio shack should power anything you want to test, except rated power on an amp.

if a small power supply doesn't fire up an amp with no load, and no input, the amp likely has issues.

My bench setup was a pos 3 amp power supply, and a cheezy set of 4 inch speakers from some car install. Alligator clips on all the wires, and fuse the PS at 3A.

A bigger, adjustable current limited supply is best for this.

Fuse the speakers too; a shorted amp will fry them faster than you can yank the leads loose!

For portable power, I use a cycle battery; they're good for 20A for a few minutes; till they boil.... charger is smaller, too.

If you use a battery, Just don't let it tip over! sulfates that settle to the bottom of the battery will short the plates.

hope this helps...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts