TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok when i drive my '96 bird lx 4.6 it doesn't happen all the time but when it does i will be driving along from a stop or something and it seems to kind of jump into third gear and sometimes it seems a bit hard and around 40-50mph the car shudders and if you fiddle with the gas pedal it will continue but if you let off it usually stops...on highway speeds you press the gas to d-shift and it kind of jumps down and back up not smooth at all i know d-shifting usually isn't smooth but should be a bit smoother than this...trans shifts to gears nice like between park drive and reverse...do i am wondering if the mercon v fluid flush would help this car cause all the other cases on here are lower speeds/ gears from what i have searched....help much appreciated

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Draining of Tranny & TC & new Merc V sure aint gonna hurt it - Probably where I'd start.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I had shuddering in my 95 but not so severe, only when under partial load in third. Either take it to the shop and have them quote $1500 or try it myself. I changed the trans fluid filter (against the advice of the illustrious goss garage) and that solved it. Although it took me three tries and finally using a torque wrench on the pan bolts before I stopped the profuse leaking. I'd take it to a flush shop if it's someone you can trust, otherwise try what you can within your own capabilities first.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts