Engine: 4.6:
City MPG: 18
Highway MPG: 29 :)
Fuel used:93
Average highway speed: 70-80
Average Climate: 70s/80s
Mechanical mods: PI H/C/I, underdrives, tune, 3.55 gears
Mileage on the engine: 100,000 on the block
Comments: **** the Wisconsin state police.

Engine: 4.6
City MPG: 18 / 13
Highway MPG: 24 / 17
Fuel Used: 93 / E85
Average highway speed: 65-70 mph
Average Climate: Temperate climate typical of Virginia Beach, VA
Mechanical Mods: 38cc Trick Flow head swap, 3.73's, 4000 stall TC, PI intake and cams, U/D pulleys
Mileage on the engine: 194 K on short block
Comments: other mods in sig. mileage listed in in the (93 octane/ E85 format).

My '95 Tbird 4.6 has 92,080 miles this morning, still gets 29-31 mpg regularly on the highways I drive by SGII or Math .... I tend to use US Rt 11 more than Interstate 81 though. On Interstate at 70, she drops some to upper 20s.

My '92 Sport still get's 22-24 running around and more like 25 on Rt 11 style 55 mph drives.

calibrated for a 4.6. No doubt about it because it never ever leaves my car.
I have a SGII that Ibought in 2010 and use between 5 vehicles, each has a cord and a Velcro spot on top of steering column. They are a '08 Mustang GT, '95 T-bird 4.6, '07 F150 5.4, '01 Mercury GM, and '03 Subaru Forester.

I find that the AVG MPG is usually within a MPG of what I come up with when I divide miles by gallons at fill up IF I drove non stop between fillups so that SGII has not reset itself. Some times it's spot on. When it's not that close, it's always after a stretch where I did stop one or more times between long enough to let SGII reset itself. I don't mean run it to empty either, you can .... and I do .... often stop and fill up after maybe 200 ... or even just 100 miles ... like a "rest stop" for me, my wife, and the car. :)

The calibrating that one does at fill ups (as I recall, I fooled with it a few years ago, not since) with a SGII is primarily aimed at "miles to empty" as I recall, where you are entering fuel tank size and gallons at fill up .... though it may fine tune for GPH reading through the OBDII port. It also gets a MPH reading, and how it comes up with MPG is SPEED divided by GPH for instant MPG reading. AVG MPG takes in account how long at any instant MPGs as you travel.

I bought the Mustang more recently than the others and I have never calibrated it to the Mustang, but in comparison between the OEM on board MPG readings, the SGII and the "Math" way .... the SGII is right in there with the other two, if I haven't let it reset since prior fill up.

All of those vehicles have OEM size rubber on them, except the Subaru which has 225/60-16 tires in place of stock 215/60-16 tires .... which according to Garmin .... actually made it's speedo more accurate than originally and the MM on I-81 put the odometer very very close now. Garmin and many checks with a SW agree, the others speedos are pretty close to spot on both speed and odo wise .... certainly good enough for me.

1948 Ford F1 with 4r70w trans, 4.6 stock engine and stock 8.8 rear end out of a 1995 Tbird. Went to Pigeon Forge last week and got 21 mpg with 10% ethanol 87 octane gas. Front of these trucks are like a 4x8 sheet of plywood pushing down the road. Average speed was 65-70 most of the 250 miles, most were interstate miles. Just this week we had some stations selling gas for as low as $2.95 a gallon. most were $2.99 to $3.03.

Stock Tbird, specs when from when I got it 10 years ago
Engine: 4.6: 95
City MPG: never tested
Highway MPG: 27-30 95s were fuel sippers of the Tbird family
Fuel used: 87
Average highway speed: 60-80
Average Climate: 84
Mechanical mods: None
Mileage on the engine: 80K

Engine: 4.6l
City MPG: NO CITY ALL hw
Highway MPG: 22.1
Fuel Used: 91
Average highway speed: 70 but my foot was in it a lot
Average Climate: 78
Mechanical Mods: AIR CLEANER, TRACLOC
Milage on the engine: 100,312
Comments: Just last month I drove the same route to school all month, 200 miles out of one tank at 55MPH. Now I got 353 out of a tank.

96 T-Bird 4.6 Auto

Mixed city and highway 13 MPG on 87 with 10% ethanol. Filled up wherever's cheap!

Car has 233000km's.

93 Mark VIII with 214000km's on 91 from Petro-Canada gets 18 in town and 27 on the highway at 70mph!

Both cars are bone stock.

I've got a '97 LX with the 4.6L SOHC V-8. I'm running 16" Lincoln Mark VIII painted 10-spokes with P225/60R16 tires. Stock exhaust and intake. I drive about 75 miles round trip to work and back every day and do a little putting around town in between. I average about 20mpg. If I'm lucky. I'm planning to do the 3rd cat delete and install an H-pipe and true Mark VIII LSC style dual exhaust with cherry bombs. Hopefully that'll help with the gas mileage as well as power and sound.

Stock Tbird, specs when from when I got it 10 years ago
Engine: 4.6: 95
City MPG: never tested
Highway MPG: 27-30 95s were fuel sippers of the Tbird family
Fuel used: 87
Average highway speed: 60-80
Average Climate: 84
Mechanical mods: None
Mileage on the engine: 80K
I've talked to others who've discovered the same thing ..... :smile2:

I've talked to others who've discovered the same thing ..... :smile2:
Maybe Ford was on to something...I've noticed that from reading through the posts on the thread. It must be the intake design or the standard 3.08 gears.

97 Cougar 4.6
K&N Panel Filter
Tune
Full 2.25 inch mandrel exhaust

300 mile trip one way 25.4
300 mile trip on the return 25.8

Back and forth from home to work + driving to customer houses. Stop and go and mountain roads 16-18 depending on how heavy my right foot is.

Also my car is abit heavier than stock, I have full sound deadening covering 100% of the floor pan, most of the sides, a small 15" kicker in a box. Amplifiers, and a group 65 battery in the trunk in addition to the stocker up front. On the return trip i drove slightly slower than going, also had ALOT of weight in the car from gifts @ christmas. Had the trunk full, and the back seat full.

97 Thunderbird LX
4.6 2v V8
PI heads, intake, cams.
91 octane
70mm MAF
255/50/16 tires (when tested)
bad alignment (lots of toe out on both front tires)
Jmod
Aluminum rear control arms, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, Mark VIII torque converter
Strut/shock tower bracing front and rear
3.73 gears
highway speed 70mph (GPS verified)
city 19mpg
hwy 24mpg

Over the winter I am buying new bushings for the rear suspension and new tie rods/hubs for the front suspension at the recommendation of my alignment guy. Once installed, I will have the toe issue repaired and will be testing MPG with my new 255/40/18 tires. I expect a mild improvement to about 25mpg or so highway.

I have the stock block with the intake swap on it. stock coils with ford racing wires a big help though with the autolite spark plug. stock ring and pinion but posi though. I get about 10% better mph than what it was. i get about 390 mixed highway and city on a tank of gas. i did put on a set of bigger injectors for the e85 mix that gas has it helped it run better.
injectors 30 lbs for the e mix
75mm throttle body
dual exaughst
10 mm ford racing wires. it seems to be the better wire as in 10 mm
still have the stock coils
mustang gt mas air sensor same part number as stock parts store had the mustang not the cougars
pan dropped and filter change with a trans flush seemed to help the wired shift i had with it other than the nutral safety switch as well
runs like a champ on the stock power train at 387k the only things not stock is what i mentioned. but runs like a champ for a thunder cat
gets about 28 to 30 mph

Since they added E10, my mileage dropped. I am down a solid 10% in all cars.

Al

I've never been able to see a real difference between E10 and full gas in my experience. When I had two stations down the street from me, one of which sold real 91 octane, the other E10 91 octane, I found I got the best overall MPG by having half a tank of each in the car. Otherwise, now that my alignment is good, and the station near my house that had full gas switched to E10, I just can't say I've noticed much overall difference. I averaged around 19 city. The fact I live in a hilly area doesn't help overall mileage much either.

I can get pure BP 89 octane at one station. When it was only 20 cents more than E10, the mileage difference VS cost difference was a wash. Now that it cost about 70 cents more, it is for lawnmower use only.

Al

Here in California, as far as I have seen, all we get is E10. There may be a few specialty gas stations here and there that may sell ethanol free gas, but I haven't seen any. What I have seen is 110 octane though at the "low low price" of $4 MORE than premium fuel. LOL

Anyway, for the amount of additives we have here in California compared to other states, a significant reason why California gas is so much more expensive than non-California gas, I'd wager that it's on par with non-California 89 octane gas.

Also, California gas can sit for longer periods of time before it goes bad. Case and point, my T-Bird when I had it sitting for a year and a half when I was doing my PI Cams and Intake swap. The gas that was in the tank came out slightly yellow and not golden brown. From what I've read here and other forums I'm on, fuel from other states starts to turn brown after about 6 months.

281 - 300 of 324 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.