TCCoA Forums banner
301 - 320 of 324 Posts
There's all sorts of reasons why CA gas is more expensive than the rest of the country. Cap and trade, more additives, state and federal taxes at $0.36/gal total ($0.18 each), etc.

It's attached to the bottom of the airbox, located behind the front fender liner. I think the name describes it, to quiet engine air intake noise.

Joe

I found it and removed it. 15 minutes. Afterwards I drove to a gas station and back. I cannot tell if there is any difference other than it was once attached to my air box, and now it is in the shed.
Oh, but there are so many benefits. More than you might realize. See the link in my signature for details.

Was pleasantly surprised when my 3.27 geared, '95 4.6 got about 32 MPG recently with crap CA gas. I thought I initially calculated wrong, but I was right. That includes going up hills and having the A/C on partially. Car is slightly lowered, with Steeda UDPs and I had my tires inflated to about 40 PSI, so those had to be factors.

with crap CA
Only true if you get fuel from AMPM or any other "value priced" gas station. I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" with everything, especially fuel.

All my vehicles get fuel from (in order) 76, Mobil, Chevron, and Shell gas stations. If I ever fill up with any other fuel, it's because I absolutely have to out of necessity.

Based on my experiences with both value priced fuels and "top tier" fuels, both my MPGs improve(ed) dramatically and / or my car(s) simply run better. This is at 87 octane, so like for like. I experienced this with all my cars: '84 Cougar, '01 S10, '93 Aerostar (was my parents, but it was "mine" for a bit), my '00 Honda, and even a few cars of some of my ex's. Even my wife's '13 Taurus seems to run better on the aforementioned "top tier" fuels.

Only true if you get fuel from AMPM or any other "value priced" gas station. I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" with everything, especially fuel.

All my vehicles get fuel from (in order) 76, Mobil, Chevron, and Shell gas stations. If I ever fill up with any other fuel, it's because I absolutely have to out of necessity.

Based on my experiences with both value priced fuels and "top tier" fuels, both my MPGs improve(ed) dramatically and / or my car(s) simply run better. This is at 87 octane, so like for like. I experienced this with all my cars: '84 Cougar, '01 S10, '93 Aerostar (was my parents, but it was "mine" for a bit), my '00 Honda, and even a few cars of some of my ex's. Even my wife's '13 Taurus seems to run better on the aforementioned "top tier" fuels.
Ask any tuner about CA gas in general, and they'll tell you it's the most sensitive to knocking/pinging VS. gas from most other states due to the special blend that's required to sell in that state. Also, it all comes from pretty much the same refineries, and I've gotten bad batches of gas from even the more expensive stations in the past. As far as "fuel" goes, I don't own any diesels, so I can't speak on that subject.

Oh, but there are so many benefits. More than you might realize. See the link in my signature for details.
Heheh, with all those benefits waiting to be had i cant believe i havent done this yet. If nothing else i like more vroom. I was always slightly dissapointed with my mileage but now i see its about the norm. 21-22 avg with a heavy foot, seems to do best around 80. Fairly sure i have 3.27s but have been told more than once that im wrong, 96 lx.

301 - 320 of 324 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.