Engine: 4.6
City MPG: 17 winter 21 summer
Highway MPG: 22 winter 26 summer
fuel Used: 92
Average highway speed: 60
Average Climate: -0s to 90s
Mechanical Mods: maf flipped
Milage on the engine: 192700
Comments: it has a very oem ford looking sticker that says "reprogrammed by ford" no idea what for. also got horrible mileage (6-8) when i used to go up and down broadway friday nights looking for ricers and mustangs that think they are so hot with their big wings and shiney rims

·
Registered
74 Posts
engine 4.6 stock
city hwy 21-23
hwy 28
hwy speed 75 mph
mileage 65000 140000
I used to check my mileage until one day I notice the odemeter wasn't working, then it was working I don't the percentage of working vs not but it make the mileage moot. also I bought another 95 bird with 180000 on it same problem. Has anyone else had the same problem
By the way the speedo works

·
Registered
7 Posts
Engine: 1995 4.6L

City MPG: First tank since I bought it, 14.85 MPG

Highway MPG: Haven't highwayed enough to tell

fuel Used: 87

Average highway speed: 70

Average Climate: 20-100 (been about 20-30 everyday since I bought it)

Mechanical Mods: bone stock

Milage on the engine: 30,995 (seriously)

Comments: Hoping the mileage will increase a little since this is the first fresh tank after the car pretty much sat in the garage for the last couple years almost never driven. Already did an oil change and topped off all the fluids and all that. After it warms up outside (don't want to do this in the snow) I suppose I'll do an all fluid flush, new plugs and wires, and new battery. Might consider doing the cold air K&N/silencer removal, though I'm seeing conflicting statements regarding the benefits of that, some say does nothing, some say helps MPG a couple.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I made a trip to Abilene, TX and decided to use this as a chance to check my mileage since my odometer isn't working. I did both legs of the trip under different circumstance to see what would happen.

On the way to Texas;
Engine: 4.6L V8
City MPG: Unknown since this was pretty much just a highway trip.
Highway MPG: 23
Fuel Used: 87 octane but I did fill up at a gas station once that used 10% ethentol
Average highway speed: 80-ish
Average Climate: Fair but slightly cool
Mechanical Mods: K&N Panel filter and gutted cats.
Milage on the engine: about 100,000
Comments: I tried to keep up with the flow of traffic and that seemed to be about 85 mph. I guess we were all in a hurry to make it home for X-Mas. I had a bit of weight in the trunk that was made up mostly of gifts. The tires were a little flat but I didn't notice that until after I was pulled over in Texas for speeding. I started going closer to the speed limit in Texas.:rolleyes: They were trying to crackdown on drunks so I got away with a warning.:cool:

On the way back to North Carolina;
Highway MPG: 25
Fuel Used: 87 octane all the way
Average highway speed: 70-ish
Average Climate: Cooler with a lot of overcast.
Comments: Even with the aired up tires the milage suffered because of the extra weight in the car. This trip included over a 150 lbs of tools, an aquarium stand, 21 gallons of water, and a 29 gallon tank with gravel. The back end looked like it was barely off the ground. That and the tinted glass made my car look suspicious I guess because we were pulled over in Louisiana. We were let go without a warning. Just a note to try to pay attention to local laws even if you can't just pull off the tint in states like that.:rolleyes:

Overall I'm sure without the weight my car gets 27 mpg on the highway but until I fix the odometer I can't be too sure what my city mileage would be. Luckily I mostly just use the highway to get back and forth to work.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Engine: 4.6L SOHC
City MPG: 10-12
Highway MPG: 12-15
Fuel Used: 87
Average highway speed: 65.2Mph ;)
Average Climate: Winter gets down in the twenties with snow summer gets up into the 80's and 90's.
Mechanical Mods: None
Milage on the engine: 160K
Notes: I have a bad O2 sensor.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i keep forgetting to keep my gas receipts so i dont have any solid figures to give a good estimate of my mpg but i was wondering... i have have an automatic, does manually downshifting affect gas mileage in any way?

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
i keep forgetting to keep my gas receipts so i dont have any solid figures to give a good estimate of my mpg but i was wondering... i have have an automatic, does manually downshifting affect gas mileage in any way?
dont do it.

you dont need a gas receipt, tank is 17 gallons, just press the trip meter button and do some math.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Engine: 4.6L SOHC
City MPG: 10-12
Highway MPG: 12-15
Fuel Used: 87
Average highway speed: 65.2Mph ;)
Average Climate: Winter gets down in the twenties with snow summer gets up into the 80's and 90's.
Mechanical Mods: None
Milage on the engine: 160K
Notes: I have a bad O2 sensor.
my truck gets almost 16mpg in town and 20.2mpg on the highway....

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I have an 18 gallon tank in my car from a 92 T-bird.

I ran it way below E just to see how low it would go and when I finally stopped to fill up it took 17.93 gallons. Was I cutting it close or what!

·
Registered
120 Posts
i have have an automatic, does manually downshifting affect gas mileage in any way?
might have answered my own question. i got 12mpg on my last tank. compared to about 18-20 when i wasnt manually shifting at all. i was late to work quite a bit but wow that is out of control.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Engine:4.6 SOHC
City MPG:17
Highway MPG:21
Fuel Used:89 oct
Average highway speed: 60
Average Climate: NE
Mechanical Mods: stock
mileage on the engine: 128000

Comments: good mileage but i can only get 10 or 11 gallons in my 19 gallon tank when its empty.... so either my gauge or pump is bad... or i got a few pounds of Mary Jane in my tank :D ill be dropping it this summer to find out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Engine: 4.6 SOHC
Average MPG: 15-17
90k miles
fuel used : 87 octane
Mechanical Mods: removed air silencer, K&N panel filter, exhaust
driven all year long from 20-85 degrees

·
Registered
120 Posts
Engine: 4.6L
City MPG: 15-18
Highway MPG: 23+
Fuel Used: 89
Average highway cruise speed: 80-85MPH (speedo is not accurate, however)
Average Climate: SoCal... dry, can get hot during day, cool at night
Mechanical Mods: K&N cone filter installed into cool intake slot, 225/60R-15 tires
Milage on the engine: 102,000Miles
Comments: new ball joints and new tires made a major difference! if i slowed down on the streets and freeways, i'm sure i could do better!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Engine: 4.6L
City MPG: Unknown
Highway MPG: ~22
Combined MPG: ~15
Fuel Used: 93, usually from Citgo
Average Highway Cruise Speed: 70-75
Average Climate: Long Island weather - warm, mild humidity.
Mods: None.
Mileage on the Engine: 84,000
Comments: I kept track of how much gas I used over one summer and how many miles I drove and the average came out to be 15.07, I think. As of now, I get roughly 240 miles per tank before the warning light comes on. I've had a consistent CEL since I got the car in 2005, and as soon as I get something fixed, something else screws up. The current culprit is P0171/P0174. Cleaned the MAF, no dice. I haven't had the chance to look further into it, but I will when I go back home.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
I fine this hard to belive myself. Just got back with the bird on a road trip. Checked mileage 153 miles on 5 gallons = 30.6 !! This was flat ground cruise . 273 miles on 10 gallons =27.3 this was hills coming up I-81 in VA. How in the world ??? I still cant belive that. It was a steady cruise trip 75 MPH 2300 or so RPMs

·
Registered
855 Posts
I just went on a 234.5 mile trip Sunday and Monday morning I put 11.132 gallons of 87 octane in that is just over 20 mpg. I averaged between 75-95 ans gunning it out of the tolls to get in the right lane I needed. That does not seem too bad to me with a V8 and driving the way I did.

81 - 100 of 302 Posts