City MPG: 17
Highway MPG: 28
Combined MPG: 21
Fuel Used: 89
Average Highway Cruise Speed: 70 mph
Average Climate: about 65 deg. F
Mods: MAC cold air induction
Mileage on the Engine: 98,000
Comments: There's too many darn traffic lights around here and other people don't know how to drive. My right foot tends to fall asleep and get heavy if you know what I mean. :D Use cruise control on the highway. Highway MPG was when I drove from NY to VA one time.

·
Registered
86 Posts
When I brought the car home from Richmond, Indiana (about a 250 miles trip) and it only used a half tank of gas. So I would say on the highway my car gets around 27.7 mpg 85% hwy/ 15% city (500 miles per tank). In city on $10 (which is about 2.2 gallons) I can run about 50 miles (work and back twice) and wont reach empty. So I say about 20.1 city (work is all city driving).:D

Engine: 4.6
City MPG: 20.1
Highway MPG: 27.7
Combined MPG: 24
Fuel Used: 87
Average highway speed: 70
Average Climate: 82F (Chicago)
Mechanical Mods: None
Milage on the engine: ODO stopped working at 179000 so i would say about 220000 miles
Comments: No heavy foot and breaking early and lightly before stop signs and lights

·
Registered
19 Posts
Engine: 4.6L
City MPG: 19 to 20.5
Highway MPG: 26.4
Fuel Used: 87 octane
Average Highway Cruise Speed: 65 to 75
Average Climate: about 80 deg. F
Mods: None
Mileage on the Engine: 107,500
Comments: So cal stop and go freeway and around town driving mostly (A/C on most of the time)
At 72 mph cruise (with air and cruise control) on trips

·
Registered
14 Posts
70% Highway 30% City: 22 MPG
Average highway speed: 70
Average Climate: SOCAL
Mechanical Mods: Stock
Milage on the engine: Stopped working at 115k so im guessing like 130k
Comments: socal traffic sucks..!!!

·
Registered
526 Posts
1995 Thunderbird LX
90% Highway 10% City: 21 MPG
Average highway speed: 77
Average Climate: Central Alabama
Mechanical Mods: Stock
Milage on the engine: 193,000

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
City MPG: 17.5 (18mph average speed--truly stop-n-go driving)
Highway MPG: 29.7
Fuel Used: 93
Average highway speed: 79
Average Climate: hot
Mechanical Mods: see sig
Milage on the engine: 170k+
Comments: this is with more tweaking done to the tune.....i found that I actually get better fuel economy doing ~80mph vs 70mph (verified with a scangauge).....the cams that I have make that much more torque at 2500 RPMs than at ~2000.........the increase in city mpg has come by way of a tweaked shift schedule that holds 2nd and 3rd just a tad bit longer than before, so the engine can operate in it's torque band a greater majority of the time

·
Super Moderator
9,147 Posts
City MPG: 17-20 (ave. 18.5)
Highway MPG: 24-29 (ave. 26)
Average Highway Speed: 70
Average Climate: 80s in summer, 20s in winter
Mileage on the Engine: 106,500
Comments: Hopefully after I get all the car's minor issues sorted out I can squeeze some more MPG out of the engine.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Engine: 4.6L SOHC
City MPG: 16-18 MPG <--- this is 75% of what I drive per tank.
Highway MPG: 20-25 MPG <--- this is 15% of what I drive per tank.
Fuel Used: 89
Average highway speed: 65-70
Average Climate: Cold Morning, average 65*F daytime, Cloudy, Sunny,
Mechanical Mods: K&N, Synthetic otherwise stock...
Milage on the engine: As of 2/1/2009 - 131,355
Comments:

I swapped my diff. for a 3.08 gears instead of 3.27, and I got 29 MPG on highway + city driving! But I swapped back to 3.27 gears with TL. hehe =)

Gas Buddy Link :)

If you guys don't know about Gas Buddy, you should check it out. You are able to find the cheapest gas around your area, where ever you live in the USA. And also, it has a handy fuel logger database, where you can keep track of all your fuel purchases. Here is a picture of a snapshot I took of my fuel graph. You can see where I swapped out the 3.27 for the 3.08 gears and got 29MPG! wee!

Here's a link to my fuel chart.

·
Banned
46 Posts
Engine:4.6
City MPG:17
Highway MPG:20
Fuel Used:cheap stuff :(
Average highway speed:umm gov much?
Average Climate:cold
Mechanical Mods: k&n filter and flomasters
Milage on the engine:120+
Comments: had a tracker and i miss the milage

·
Registered
185 Posts
Anyone using 0w30? I have used it in the Cougar, but didn't track the mileage compared to 5w30. I do know that my '04 Thunderbird gets over 23 MPG over with 0w20 and no more than 22 with 5w20. Even after 5000 miles with 0w20 and then switching to 5w20, I got worse gas mileage. I had to switch back because Mobil 1 ran out due to Hurricane Ike.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Anyone using 0w30? I have used it in the Cougar, but didn't track the mileage compared to 5w30. I do know that my '04 Thunderbird gets over 23 MPG over with 0w20 and no more than 22 with 5w20. Even after 5000 miles with 0w20 and then switching to 5w20, I got worse gas mileage. I had to switch back because Mobil 1 ran out due to Hurricane Ike.
The 1997 and older motors are not designed to run the thin 0W oil. I am sure people do it, but I wouldnt. I am also sure mileage would go up accordingly.

When I switched from 10W-40 to 10W-30, I noticed a nice mileage increase in an old Nissan, and have used 10W-30 ever since.

I also always notice a mileage increase in the Ford after just changing the oil with the same type. Food for thought for when gas was $4 - then it might be worth changing it every 2500 miles, 3000 at the most.

Al

·
Super Moderator
7,479 Posts
The 1997 and older motors are not designed to run the thin 0W oil. I am sure people do it, but I wouldnt. I am also sure mileage would go up accordingly.
Just so you know, there is no difference between the way the motors were built before or after 97. Internally the motors have the exact same parts with the exact same bearings and the exact same clearances. If you can run 0W oil in a newer 4.6, then you can also run it in an older 4.6. Personally, I would never run that light an oil in anything. I think the protection that some 10-30 gives you is worth more than what you would save in gas.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Also like I said mileage went down from 0W20 5000 mile old oil to brand new 5w20 both mobil 1 full synthetic in my tbird. And a switch from 5w30 to 0w20 isn't like switching from 10w40 to 30. You went down real weight.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Just so you know, there is no difference between the way the motors were built before or after 97. Internally the motors have the exact same parts with the exact same bearings and the exact same clearances. If you can run 0W oil in a newer 4.6, then you can also run it in an older 4.6. Personally, I would never run that light an oil in anything. I think the protection that some 10-30 gives you is worth more than what you would save in gas.

All I know is my engine guy built my 2JZ engine purposely with the tolerances on the loose side, and said the minimum oil I should run is 10W-40, instead of the 10W-30 required on a bone stock motor.

I take that to mean since there is more space between the parts, you need a thicker film of oil for protection, and that oil recomendation is directly proportional to engine tolerances.

I would like to see proof that the clearances are not tighter on the newer motors that require 5W-30 oil, especially Honda motors.

Al

·
Registered
933 Posts
Engine: 3.8 n/a
Average MPG: 17-19
Fuel Used: 91 or sometimes 89 from BP
Average highway speed: 55 (inner-city interstate)
Average Climate: Omaha doesn't have an average climate!
Milage on the engine: 140,000
Comments: Most of the 4.6's are getting the if not better than my 3.8. I dispise the V6 (2009 honda 1.8l has the same hp) would a swap to the 4.6 or supercharging be better? (and which would be cheaper)

·
Registered
185 Posts
T6Rocket, like I said the 40 is thicker than the 30. If an engine required 40 you shouldn't put 30 in. The winter weight is different though.

·
Registered
185 Posts
sdavis - That seems pretty low. Is your gas E10 or is it higher, being from Omaha the corn state. I know they call their state disability system CornHusker:)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Something is definitely wrong here.

I recently did three trips in the last week that were about 90% highway each (NY to DC - 270 miles, DC to NJ - 230 miles, and NJ to DC - 210 miles).

Speed was an average 75-80 MPH. I run 89 octane, and despite it being winter gas, my MPG for all three trips was less than 20. About 19 and change.

That was with a change to clean oil (Motorcraft 5W30) and a Seafoam treatment right before the NY-DC trip.

My city mileage (I've been keeping track for the last year or two) is in the low 14s. Even with summer gas, my highway mileage (I took a road trip to Pennsylvania and back) was sub-20.

121 - 140 of 302 Posts