TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my first 100miles went good but now I got code that came up when on the expressway this morning. It was P0172 System too Rich (Bank 1)

Coolant temp - 181*
RPMs - 2070
Speed - 67mph
Fuel system - Closed
That what my new scanner told me :)

I take it that this is not a O2 but something else. The question is, what?

Could this be from a misfire in bank 1? But wouldn't I get the check light for that? maybe a problem with the reflashed EEC? Maybe plug gaps need to be opened up some more? Im gapped at .40 with 12C's (for nitrous) What else should I check? It did make it to 100 miles before this came on.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The last time I dropped a P0172, was after I tried the now infamous MAF MOD(anyone remember that one...). I'd check to see if the MAF element is clean, and check the plug gaps.

Peter M.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
This is from the Ford PC/ED for 1996. It should help you start locating what the problem may:

H41 DTCs P0172, P0174, P0171 AND P0175: FUEL SYSTEM AT THE CORRECTED ADAPTIVE LIMITS
Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P0171 bank (1) (cylinder #1) and DTC P0174 bank (2) indicate the fuel/air ratio is too lean. The fuel adaptive system is at the rich correction limit.

DTC P0172 bank (1) and DTC P0175 bank (2) indicate the fuel/air ratio is too rich. The fuel adaptive system is at the lean correction limit.

DTCs HO2S Reference list:

HO2S-11 = DTCs P0171 and P0172
HO2S-21 = DTCs P0174 and P0175
Possible causes:

Fuel system

Excessive fuel pressure.
Leaking fuel injector(s).
Leaking fuel pressure regulator.
Low fuel pressure.
Contaminated injector(s)
Induction system

Air leaks after the MAF.
Vacuum leaks.
Restricted air inlet.
PCV system.
Fuel purge system.
Improperly seated dip stick.
EGR

Leaking gasket.
Stuck open EGR valve.
Leaking diaphragm.
Base engine

Oil overfill.
Cam timing.
Cylinder compression.
Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2S's.
Check air intake for leaks, obstructions and damage.
Check air filter, air filter housing for blockage.
Verify integrity of the PCV system.
Check for vacuum leaks.

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
A exhaust leak near the colector will let extra air into the system thus extra oxygen and the computer will think that the car is runing rich and start pulling fuel out on that side. If it can't pull enough fuel it will set a code.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BUt the weird part is that the exhaust leak is on the nut from the EGR to the header. And that would be bank 2 and I got the code for bank 1 :confused:

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
acording to the ford manual bank 1 is the passanger side I know because I had a problem with bank 1 sensor 2 which is the passanger side. The driverside is bank 2. The extra air will make it think that it is runing rich on that side. The bad thing is that it could pull so much fuel it would cause it to detonate on that side. It could also be a possiabilty that you have a bad injector but there is a 99 % chance it is the exhaust leak.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I know there is an exhaust leak as the EGR nut is only about hand tight LOL I forgot to tighten that bolt.

I always thought bank 1 of the left side was the drivers side and bank 2 or the right side was the pass

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Thats because Ford runs their cylinder order like this:

Driver's side - Passenger Side
5 1
6 2
7 3
8 4

So bank 1 starts with cylinder #1, bank 2 with cyl #5.

GM's are different, they run back and forth
1 2
3 4
5 6
7 8

I might have the sides backwards, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BlackTbird96 said:
Coolant temp - 181*
RPMs - 2070
Speed - 67mph
Fuel system - Closed
That what my new scanner told me :)
OK now this is getting weird. 60miles later. I get a new code, P0175 System too Rich (Bank 2).

Now for the weird part.
Coolant Temp - 179*
RPM's - 2024
Speed - 67mph
Fuel System - Closed

Looks the exact same as before. But now bank 2 instead of 1. Could it have something to do with the coolant temp? Seems a little low for driving about 15mins at speeds around 70mph. oh yea, And both times the calc. engine load has been at 26% if that matters

I regapped all the plugs to .054 and pulled the Octane pin to add the 8* of timing.

Maybe I just have to make sure I never go 67mph @ 2000RPMs

:uppoint:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Check for intake issues, PCV problems, and vacumn leaks. I know this sounds like a stupid question, but the right transfer table was used for your 80mm MAF, right?

Peter M.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Peter M said:
Check for intake issues, PCV problems, and vacumn leaks. I know this sounds like a stupid question, but the right transfer table was used for your 80mm MAF, right?

Peter M.
Well there are no vacuum leaks and if there was, I should be getting a bad idle, but the car runs so smooth. And Yes the EEC has been reflashed for everything on the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 94 couger 4.6 and i had the same problem. Mine was running so rich that i lost a lot of power and you could smell gas coming out of the tailpipes. The problem was that the computer was bad and was holding the #2 injector open all the way all the time. I had to get a new computer.

Do you have a strong smell of gas coming out of the tailpipes?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts