TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today it was raining bad here in MI. Well, I was driving down the road and lo and behold I hit a puddle that was a little deeper than I thought. After that car ran completely like isht!

Feathered it the whole way home. It ran better when I got home..

Went directly under the hood and got out my aircleaner. It was damp, not sopping wet. Kinda like a muggy damp (no dripping water or anything. Looked up the intake. No water. Checked the oil. Oil is fine!

So I started her up w/o a air filter. I put it in neutral and it revved finew/o airfilter. I am not driving it untill I buy a new filter tommrow.

Should there be anything else I should check? Or do I sound like one lucky SOB.

P.S. I removed my air scilencer in the past.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
somtimes if filter gets wet it will miss fire BAD... i found this out the hardway

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys, I'm not driving w/o one. I was parked and it ran completely fine. Did a couple revvs, pulled it into the grage (paved driveway). No missfiring or anything. I was just wondering if it be ok. That is all.

Like I said checked the oil to see if there was any water. The oil was clean, no brown and a bit thin, but it smelled like gas due to the valve seal leak I have. There was nothing out of the ordinary. Pulled off the intake had a look inside. Dry absoluletly no condensation. Also checked the throttle body. None. Only thing was having a damp airfilter.

I was just wondering if I was in the clear.

That is all. :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
You got lucky.

New filter, and maybe a splash guard of some sort?

There was a tricked out cat down in St Louis (Full Xenon kit, 1000+ dollar rims, engine and tranny mods, etc) that a guy had driven in a puddle and lost the motor and was selling for 1900 straight up to get it out, didn't want to deal with the motor (Air force guy...had money to spend). THAT could have been you...but it would have been a great pickup.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
razzibird said:
P.S. I removed my air scilencer in the past.
This really doesn't make the situation worse. I don't know why people seem to think removing the silencer makes their engine more susceptible to hydro-lock. If there is any difference, the removed silencer is better as the lowest point of the intake is higher.

Like J Miller said, look at the plugs. they'll tell you the most short of taking apart the engine.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I checked the plugs. All of the ones not on the side of the intake are fine. They are dirty, but I expect that because last tune up wa a year and a half ago.

The ones on the other side of the intake were a little white. Not like suit white or anything. So I cleaned them and put them back in. Am I OK?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
GreenBird said:
If there is any difference, the removed silencer is better as the lowest point of the intake is higher.
However, with the silencer intact the lowest point of the intake isnt a 6" hole in which you can see the ground located directly under the Filter. Don't get me wrong, im not "pro-silencer" I'm just saying at least the silencer has some bends and restrictions for tge water to find its way through, not to mention the inlet is pressed up agains the sheetmetal :eek: . I did the ram air mod after I removed my silencer just because I Run a 9" K&N and I hate looking into my engine bay and seeing that much daylight directly under my filter.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Audiobahnbird said:
However, with the silencer intact the lowest point of the intake isnt a 6" hole in which you can see the ground located directly under the Filter.
But its still higher. The chances of the engine sucking in water are still less.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Bah, just make a snorkel and run it out the top of the hood facing rearward. While we're at it, lets have dual smokestacks coming thru the trunklid. :eek: Seriously, unless you drive into a creek or lake with it, having the air silencer removed is not cause for concern. I drive thru puddles all the time, and my filter has never gotten wet...but before I removed the air silencer I drove thru a puddle and destroyed the MAFS electronics. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, been driving it back and fourth for a few days. Cleaned the MAF, checked the oil again. Everything seems to be OK.

Dad is whining becasue he is trying to make me put my silencer back on. He thinks its reducing gas milage and making it more vinerable to water due to not having the tube, does that kink in the tube mean anything??. His quote, "it was put on there for a reason!!". I was like DAD, the cars quiet enough. lol.

He is a chevy boy, but is slowly changing to ford. Thanks for the coments guys :thumbsup:.

·
Registered
332 Posts
ahh i know how it feels to have your parents scream at you to put back on those parts that you threw out the window last week. the first day i bought my bird .. "bye bye silencer" ....

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Audiobahnbird said:
However, with the silencer intact the lowest point of the intake isnt a 6" hole in which you can see the ground located directly under the Filter.
When I removed my silencer, I still had an elbow bolted under the airbox. Still had three bolts holding the elbow to the airbox. Just cut the narrow restrictive silencer off of the 90' elbow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts