TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im watching the news right now of the Columbia falling into Dallas, This is horrible... I pray to God they are all in a better place now.

·
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

My prayers are with the families and friends

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
I remember coming home from school (5th grade) for lunch back in the 80's and my mother giving me the news about the Challenger. :(

God that guy on CNN right now is a total idiot. "Plane close by" yeah, and 200,000 feet. Sure buddy.

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
jordansypek said:
Im watching the news right now of the Columbia falling into Dallas, This is horrible... I pray to God they are all in a better place now.
As an aspiring astrophysicist...and NASA hopeful.......I'm deeply saddened by all of this....

Not the best thing to see in the morning... :bawling:

My prayers to the families of the crew...

Maybe NASA should stop naming ships starting w/ the letter "C"
:(

I saw Challenger live when it blew up.... and now I've seen Columbia...

Rumor has it that something came off a solid rocket booster on takeoff a few weeks ago....might have damaged a wing on the shuttle.....

·
Registered
239 Posts
ShadowDragon said:
I remember coming home from school (5th grade) for lunch back in the 80's and my mother giving me the news about the Challenger. :(

God that guy on CNN right now is a total idiot. "Plane close by" yeah, and 200,000 feet. Sure buddy.
is that the same guy that said he just assumed it was those special tiles coming off...implying that it happens all the time?

·
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ShadowDragon said:

I was in 1st grade when that happened. The elementary school I went to setup a dedicated showcase for the passangers of the Challanger.. Its still there till this day....

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
brahma101 said:
is that the same guy that said he just assumed it was those special tiles coming off...implying that it happens all the time?
Yes.

And lets not forget all the people reporting rumbling and loud sounds from a vehicle traveling 6x the speed of sound. :rolleyes: Duh. Anything to get on the news huh? Pretty sad that they use a tragedy such as this to do so.

·
2,028 Posts
jordansypek said:

My prayers are with the families and friends
STS-107 mission home page

*edit*
looks like they changed the site already...had a bunch of 'vitals' on the mission.....now it's a 'dont touch debris' type thing..

Looks like it was a pretty uneventful mission. Experiments went fine.....

I guess this is why they say "human space flight is never routine"....

A sad day for both the :usa:, for Israel...as they've lost their first astronaut ever in the NASA program....and a sad day for India as well....as one of the astronauts was born there....

·
Registered
505 Posts
a very sad day...

·
Registered
149 Posts
I feel sorry for all of the familys that are involved. It is a sad thing to lose people in that situation. And to have to watch it all an TV must be a horrible thing. I Pray for them all.

Chris

·
Registered
240 Posts
what about the remaining astronauts aboard the ISS?

I was truly shocked this morning and had to rush in to work to cover the disaster on the air.(I am a radio personality) After the first hour my thoughts began to drift to the astronauts still aboard ISS. I visited NASA in Houston a few years ago and saw them working on some systems for the X-38, the "lifeboat" for the ISS.

Now this morning I cannot find ANYTHING on the X-38. Anyone know if it was ever deployed or are our guys goingto have to come home on a Soyuz?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
NBC reported this morning that the crew return vehicle was a Soyuz. How's that for irony...? The US is the most technologically advanced nation on the planet but suddenly we have to depend on ancient Soviet technology to bring *our* guys home. All because our leaders won't spend the money to update our superior technology.

·
2,028 Posts
Re: what about the remaining astronauts aboard the ISS?

jrb23 said:
I was truly shocked this morning and had to rush in to work to cover the disaster on the air.(I am a radio personality) After the first hour my thoughts began to drift to the astronauts still aboard ISS. I visited NASA in Houston a few years ago and saw them working on some systems for the X-38, the "lifeboat" for the ISS.

Now this morning I cannot find ANYTHING on the X-38. Anyone know if it was ever deployed or are our guys goingto have to come home on a Soyuz?
Uh, why would they deploy any type of lifeboat from the ISS? The crew on board the ISS has enough supplies to last a while. I do believe that the escape pod for the ISS is a Russian Soyuz pod.

The reason for using a Soyuz is the fact that it is an INTERNATIONAL space station. It is a JOINT effort between a large contingent of nations. Yes, the old Soviet style craft is old. However, you must also remember, our space shuttles are 20 yrs old as well. They are 'outdated' in a sense...but get redone quite often to keep up w/ technology. I think the Soyuz has updated electronics and things of that nature.

Oh, and one more thing...

Originally posted by doodaa
The US is the most technologically advanced nation on the planet but suddenly we have to depend on ancient Soviet technology to bring *our* guys home. All because our leaders won't spend the money to update our superior technology.
OUR boys on board the ISS includes a Russian.....just so you know.......

Please, read up and learn about the ISS (International Space Station), NASA, and the ESA (European Space Agency)........and learn about how NASA spends its money (and gets it in the first place) before you speak....

**edit**

more on the Soyuz that serves as an escape pod for the ISS.

Though, all of this doesn't matter at this point. All that matters is the lives of 7 brilliant and accomplished people that were lost today. I'm currently working on getting a memorial set up at my work (LodeStar Astronomy Center).....one of the crew members used to live in Albuquerque (her parents still live here as well)....wonder if we can have a memorial service....

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Re: Re: Oh my god... Columbia..

66dvlbrd68 said:
Maybe NASA should stop naming ships starting w/ the letter "C"

I saw Challenger live when it blew up.... and now I've seen Columbia...
Well Columbia came before Challenger. I think they need to just stop doing stuff in late January/early february (Apollo I fire, Challenger, and now Columbia)

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
Columbia was damned from the start... on its first mission there were heat shield problems, damaging over 120 cells and losing 40 or so.

it was grounded over a year and a half ago for repairs.. the damn thing is over 20years old... way to finish out the final mission.. some of the news guys in florida are a little cruel in a way.. one of them thought it was funny to point out the irony in the shuttle breaking up over Palestine, TX..... the second we heard an Israeli was going up and secret service was everywhere during the launch, we knew something was going to happen... ((nothing against them or anything))

Fox news was debating whether this was the end of the space program or not.. then realized the multi billion dollar investment above our heads..

and then there are the "....well the tornado sounded like a freight train..." type people complaining about the sonic boom... on the cnn website there is a quote from a lady..."i heard a series of loud booms that shook my house (duh), then a loud noise like an explosion that lasted a few minutes, then i saw smoke all around my house...." the next quote was "...i heard a few booms (sonic boom) then an explosion sounds lasting 10-15 seconds..." ANYTHING to get on the news...

you guys hear about someone calling the newsroom about debris in his yard?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts