TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Maybe there should be a law against ads with false information well for individuals ads anyway. Or at least a way to put feedback on someone's selling page. The law against false information would probably be as effective as the one we have for buisnesses though. That would keep them straight, if people were putting messages at the bottom of the ad about the car they were trying to sell. I would just hate for someone to fall for this BS. Even though I know people do.

Russell

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Oh yeah and candy apple red? Give me a break.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Who says he's lying? We all know the PI swap is very easy, who's to say it hasn't been done? I wouldn't call the man a liar until I picked up the phone and discussed it with him.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
ZackG said:
very true, but chances are its the stock motor
Chances indeed. But its the same thing as Jack K. blowing the whistle on an ebay auction for a TBird with a vortech. Could have easily accused him of lying since TBirds are such a niche market, but low and behold, he's got a blue 97 with boost.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I called the guy and left a message explaining the engine issue.

Will post his reply if I hear back.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
AverageJoe said:
Who says he's lying? We all know the PI swap is very easy, who's to say it hasn't been done? I wouldn't call the man a liar until I picked up the phone and discussed it with him.
Wouldn't you want to say something about that in the ad though. I would say something about putting a new "PI" mustang engine in. Lower miles, more power that could be a good selling point.

Russell

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Chances are the seller knew that it had the 4.6L SOHC motor like what's in the Mustang. He looked up the specs on the Mustang and found 260hp / 302lb/ft. He didn't realize that only 99+ made those numbers so he put what he found in the ad. Don't be so quick to call foul.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Sir William said:
Chances are the seller knew that it had the 4.6L SOHC motor like what's in the Mustang. He looked up the specs on the Mustang and found 260hp / 302lb/ft. He didn't realize that only 99+ made those numbers so he put what he found in the ad. Don't be so quick to call foul.
That looks like what happened, but that still doesn't exempt him from looking up the power numbers for a tbird. People should know what they are selling before they sell it. I don't really care either way, but I like for people to get their facts straight.

Russell

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
look at it this way, some idiot who is oblivious to cars will look at that ad, get excited, buy the car, and forever think that the car actually has that kinda power. unless of course he visited this place. (but i doubt he would)

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Update;

The guy called me back, and said it is the factory stock original engine.

Not a Mustang engine.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Well look at it this way: if a person doesn't care enough to actually look up the specs before they buy the car, they probably aren't going to care that much, nor will they even remember. Some older couple is going to buy it, drive it another 30k, croak, then it'll get sold to someone else. It's misleading, but I think this is seriously a situation where the buyer should be educated enough on the car to realize what kind of power it has. If someone buys it fully expecting those engine specs, I'd put them at fault just as much as the seller.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Also ... doesnt he say a mechanic had it ... the mechanic says "hey this is the same engine as in the mustang." Which it is ... but only til '98 then the we know what happend from there... I agree with sir will ... its probably an honest mistake. Wonder ... Rolling Thunder... did you try to explain the difference in the engine and why it only has 205/280 ?

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
The seller left a message on my answering machine.

He said what I posted above.

When I called him the first time, I left a message asking him if this was the engine originally installed. I pointed out that the horsepower rating was less than what he mentioned in the ad.

I never did talk to him directly, only thru phone messages.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts