TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I did a bad thing today. Forgot my ramps at the inlaws over the weekend and wanted to change my oil. So, I couldn't get the oil pan bolt off and too it to the local Valveline. After waiting more then 30 minutes for Chevy 1500 to get finished(should of been first clue) my turn was up.

1.5 hours later my car had the oil changed and my arms show the marks from it. Yes, "MY" arms. I waited 45 minutes for them to tell me they couldn't get the oil filter out from under the car. They had it off the oil pump but couldn't figure out how to get it out. Next, I told them it slides out the front over the sway and tried to show them how, but the guy stepped in front of me and said he knew how to do it, so 20 mins later I was asked to show them all how to take the filter out.

Then the guy that told me he knew how to get the filter out could not get the new filter in there. I did that part also. Motorcraft 820S. Have to love having a good time at others expense when nobody get's hurt. Then 15 mins for them to get the Mobil 1 Syn bottle open and dump it into the car.

Bigger sway and headers do make the oil change more fun. Just a side note for you fellows thinking about doing it.

In the end they tried to charge me full price for the oil change and that didn't happen either. Just glad I was there watching them attempt this and didn't leave them alone.

It was well worth a laugh. :uppoint:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I brought it and the filter. I had planned on changing it myself, but forgot my ramps at the father inlaws house over the weekend.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
You're lucky they told you, I had a friend that had a summer job at a quick oil change place, and he said whenever they got a TBird in, they would just wipe the filter off to make it look new, and then drain the oil, and put new oil in. That's the reason I always change my own oil.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, first time I haven't changed it in the 6 years I have owned it. That's why I stay and watch when someone else works on my vehicles. I always tell them to keep the old parts if I have to do something else. And I marked the filter before I went in there.

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
mdj1281 said:
I wouldv'e thrown them $10 for letting ME use THEIR pit/lift.
yea no joke, its worth it sometimes (winter)

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
That's why I love the heated shop with 4 lifts and 2 oilchange pits that I have access to. No need to worry about the weather.

·
Registered
515 Posts
i work at grease monkey, like a valvoline only better (we do more stuff) One day a 97 tbird came in and they had me down there doing it cause i was the only one in the shop who could get it out. Bet they were glad i was at work that day!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That 1 1/4 sway just makes the job joyful. Especially after getting your hand dang near burnt off by the headers while loosening the oil filter. Some jobs you just have to smile about.(while you're gritting your teeth):D

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Boy, I'm just now starting to realize that being 5'7" and 135 lbs is really not that bad. Last time I changed the oil, the car was on 2 2x4's stacked. I had plenty of room too. Maybe, next time I should keep the car on the ground just for the challenge. :cool:

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
I'll back that up.. it helps being a skinny white boy when it comes to stuff like that. Not having to pick up the car does clip a few minutes off the change time.. :D

·
Registered
933 Posts
Are all you guys lowered? Or do you just suck that bad?
I can change it on my cougar on the ground...and I'm not exactly thin...
Now, my driveway does have a little slope and I back it up it, but still.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
The drainpan won't fit under my car, and it's not lowered. I'm lazy, and have access to a lift, so why not use it?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Should try it being left handed. :) I can usually do it on the ground, but Ford changed my oil for me last time and the kid was new and he way over torqued the pan bolt. I was raising the car about 2 inches trying to break it loose.

Being older now instead of 16 to 25 I said to hell with it and took it in. It was well worth the entertainment. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts